Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 04 Blaster for this guy, didnt have spark. Wiring harnness looked like spaghetti.lol. Figured out the wiring problem, now has a nice (blue) spark. Put on tank, kicked it twice started right up. Ran for about 3minutes or so, sounded great. Then died on me, cant get it running. Still has nice spark,gas is getting to plug.The oil injection was removed, the gas in tank is only a couple months old mixed 32:1. Has good compression. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Would appreciate any suggestions? Thankyou.....

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Check your pick up coil.I had a 1989 & a 1994 Blaster that did this ,Turned out the pickup coil got pushed away from the flywheel just enoff to give me a no start or a start than die out shortly after.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When u say pickup coil, do u mean the tab on the outside of flywheel or do u mean one of the coils inside the flywheel? I still have spark from plug. thnks

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Its been a while but If I remember right the pickup coil on the Blaster will be behind your fly wheel,I dont think it was like my Banshees ware the pick up coil was on the outside of the flywheel...Just pull the stator cover & take a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the inside of flywheel is 3 coils, charge coil,light 1 coil, and a pulsar coil. on the outside of flywheel is a metal square tab. wich one is the pickup coil?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Like I said , it has been a while...I believe the pulasr coil is the one your looking for.It should be able to be adjusted a bit.Not sure on the specs but a google serch should provide.Just to make sure thow..the metal squar tab on the outside of the flywheel, what color is it & does it have a magnetic spot on it facing the flywheel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
square tab has nothing on it. The shaft the flywheel is on does seem to be a little out, like bent.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
square tab has nothing on it. The shaft the flywheel is on does seem to be a little out, like bent.
The shaft the flywheel sits on is the crank.If that's bent you got crank bearing issues or somthing similar.The pulser(pick up) coil is what I was refering to .If its out of wack your spark wont be consistant or may just not spark at all...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gtting spark everytime i kick it. and its a blue spark. but you r right there something up with shaft, poss. bearings are shot. do I have to split bottom of engine to replace bearings? thnks

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm gtting spark everytime i kick it. and its a blue spark. but you r right there something up with shaft, poss. bearings are shot. do I have to split bottom of engine to replace bearings? thnks
Ya sure do..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Compression good. The guy dropped it off saying it didnt have spark, wanted for me the fix the issue with not having spark. Like I previously said the wiring harness looked like spaghetti hanging off the side of quad. No headlight, or brake light. There were wires going everywhere. Traced every wire to see where they went to. Eventualy found that two of the wires coming from the coils behind flywheel were connected to the wrong wires disconnected & reconnected to the right wires. When I had the flywheel off the magnets had alot of corrosion on them. cleaned them up. put back together and had spark. Called the guy and told him it has spark but doesnt run. Told him what you said about needing new crank bearings or might even need a new crank. Doesnt want to spend the money for parts and labor, wich I tend to agree due to the fact the quad has been used & abused severly. He told me he will just part it out. I hope he realizes he still owes me my labor for getting the spark. Not my fault there is a crank issue. My regret is telling him when I seen the quad that its to beat to even put money into. But I have over 8 hours working on this thing.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts