Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend my 04 Raptor developed a problem with the Rev Limiter.

Whenever I put a load on the engine it kicks in the Rev Limiter...for example when I try to wheelie or climb a hill, it kicks in and I have no power.

It runs fine, starts fine, revs fine. This Raptor is bone stock including the pipe.

Last night I pulled the parking brake switch per instructions from the "common problems for Raptors" sticky thread.

But it didn't fix it. Rev limiter still kicking in.

My reverse light does not flicker and works properly. I pulled the wire off where it connects and cleaned it per the sticky thread as well...still the problem is there.

Any ideas???? I don't want to take this to a dealer.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Is it jetting related??? Might have got some dirty gas that is clogging the mains? I'm just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it jetting related??? Might have got some dirty gas that is clogging the mains? I'm just throwing it out there.
I have no idea. How do I check that?

The carbs are bone stock...I haven't ever messed with them. I've had this Raptor for 2 years now but I bet it doesn't have 50 hours on it. It was like new when I got it.

Like I said, it revs great, runs great...starts right up. But if you put a load on it, like pulling a wheelie, the rev limiter kicks in.

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Ride the bike and determine whether it is related to engine RPM or to throttle position - I'll bet it's throttle position which points to carb issues - most probably a plugged jet.

Especially telling is 2 years with little use - gas evaporates from the carb float bowl leaving gunk behind when it sits unused for extended lengths of time. This gunk builds up, eventually plugging jets and passages. Clean your carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ride the bike and determine whether it is related to engine RPM or to throttle position - I'll bet it's throttle position which points to carb issues - most probably a plugged jet.

Especially telling is 2 years with little use - gas evaporates from the carb float bowl leaving gunk behind when it sits unused for extended lengths of time. This gunk builds up, eventually plugging jets and passages. Clean your carbs.
Why would it rev up just fine in neutral then if it was the carb?

That said, will some carb cleaner in the tank work or do they need to come off?

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.