Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have an 04 660 and when I try to start it it is making a clunking/whining sound when I try to start it. It will start however. I am assuming after reading all these threads its the one way bearing. It looks like they are all for 01-03. So do i have a different problem?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

·
Registered
113 Posts
01-03 is the horrible one way bearings. in 04 yamaha tried to fix it and increased the diameter of the sprag bearing (one way) and also increased the diameter of the 52 tooth gear to help eliminate this problem. more than likely your one way is going out. You just have to make sure you get one for a 04-05 or a complete L&A setup and be done with it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Although Yamaha tried to fix it, their change was not very successful - you need a new one-way - L&A also makes 04+ versions, if I recall.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the response. Now I know I can call L&A and order a kit. But is there a way to check if i only need a certain gear or bolt or something? Sorry, not very mechanically inclined. Im just a tight ass.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Take it apart - you'll know if it needs replacing vs the bolts have sheared off. Remove the left side cover and inspect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts