Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I a Noob. I have a stock 05 660le. I has not been started 4 in years. I have about 1000$ to spend on upgrades. What is a Great Pipe,Jets set Intake box? There is a Tone of carb kits from moose racing come with 2 jet kits and a plug in Chip. While I get alot more Wheeler action if I go up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket? I appreciate the help I have 1500$ to spend. The Bike has low hours on it ans 3 inches of dust:eek:. I want to have fun this summer. I don't like the 2 carb deal. Can I buy an after market carb.A big one instead of keeping 2 insink? Id also like to put on Bright lights for night riding. Rhode Island is not a good Quad state. Thanks

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan on doing ? Terrain and such I mean.

Before you go out and spend a grand on performance parts, replace anything that may need it (brakes, boots, chain, gears, etc.) and go through all standard maintenence like oil changes and carb cleaning.

As far as carbs- stick with the dual carbs. It feeds the bike better than the singles do. Get a jet kit if you're not familiar with jets for sure. I'd recommend the one from Vito's performance. It includes a lot more than any other kit I can think of, AND it should be cheaper as well.

Pipes (there's a ton of threads on this one) I personally recommend the CT Sonic or Sparks pipes as far as singles. Dual exhaust, I prefer Monster or Barkers. IMO Stay away from LTE unless you get a screamin deal.

Get an intake, like a pro-design with the billet adapter that lets you run a bigger filter. I like K&N filters, some people prefer foam filters. Either way you go, it's a good idea to get a better intake than the stock setup.

Don't waste your money on any kind of 'chip'. Even the 'rev boxes' don't have much use to 99% of the raptor 660 community. I wouldn't spend a dime on one.

As far as gearing- a very common gearing change is the front sprocket. Stock is 13teeth, a lot of people (including myself) like the 12t front as it gives you a bit better launch, more front end lift, and more usable gear ratio for most scenarios. Keep in mind though, your tire size will effect the gearing and the way your machine performs.

In your position I'd buy:

A good helmet if you don't have one already
CT Sonic (or Sparks) Pipe (see if you can find one used in good condition)
Vito's Jet kit
Carb rebuild kit (likely useful if they're in the condition I'm imagining)
Pro-design/pro-flow intake
Good set of rubber if needed
Brake pads and discs
Gears/chain if needed
A set of nerf bars
Maybe upgrade your bumper and grab bar
Piggyback shocks from a Raptor 700

If that doesn't spend all your money, then save it for gas and go ride !!! A LOT !

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Well said Seg!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Just put my +2's on. Had a Diamond J on there before and that made a huge difference over stock, but the new arms are even more of a difference themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Indeed! Next comes go fast parts lol. I said I'd never do it, but I rode a fast bike last weekend, and I gotta do it now...damn...

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Yup! Shouldn't have done it. I should have just been fine with the fact that they were better riders than me and left it at that. Shouldn't have taken the bait to "just take it for a ride, see how you like it." Damn. Got the bug now, I'm in trouble...

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I think seg said it great. If you have any left i would shoot for a stage one cam till you have the money for a complete top end rebuild. =)

·
Registered
95 Posts
yfz 450 shocks

Hey Man! I bought my Yfz 450 front shocks from "jogaca", he completely refubished them, set them up for my weight/riding style, and powder coated them to match my machine. Best upgrade for me so far, she like a totally differant Quad!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guys!:)I have been riding Street bikes and dirt bikes for years. I have Tec10 boots. Everything That a pro Super cross racer would have as far as padding and protective gear. Do QUAD Rider use different equipment?. I just not Very knowledgeable on quads I have the climer Book which tells you everything. I ride quads pretty good. I can afford a Top end kit, but I only know how to Change 2stroks stuff. Cams and valves... I'm stumped on. I'm not good with carbs Either. I don't want to pay someone 80$ an hr. When I can follow instructions like he would prob. do. I have New rear tires, I'd like to replace the front ones. Where I ride It's rocky. I have Armor everywhere on the Quad. The suspension isn't that great. What's a good shock system? I'd Like to get a supertrap exhaust. I miss mine that I put on my Honda 350x 3wheeler. I saw something online. Its called SUPERFAST its a yellow intake air flow piece. Is it junk? This quad is a project for me I'm in no Hurry to get it done. I always wanted to create a Bad ass Quad. It was 2 years old when I bought it in 07 and the kid who owned it was Scared of it. He put new rear tires on it and new Handlebars thats about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you want to go with a single carb I have a complete edlebrock carb and intake. Super easy to tune. I also have a full yosi pipe. I will sell both for three hundred plus the ride. Good luk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts