Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasin a hot cam for my 05 660 but im not 100% on it yet.. What are some Pros and Cons??

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Pros: More power, more fun to ride.

Cons: It costs money to buy, takes time and knowledge or money to install. If you post vague questions without any background information or data on the machine or type of riding and therefore choose the wrong one for your application you won't like the result.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Dunes like more revs, you're going to want the stage 2. You'll need a set of heavy duty valve springs and if you don't want to lose your bottom end power you're going to want an 11:1 piston thrown in too.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Stock is 100mm, if your engine is old and tired like most of them that are still stock after all this time then you'll want to bore the cylinder and throw in a larger piston. I'd suggest the 101 for two reasons. First it's cheaper than the 102mm, second it's large enough that when you bore the cylinder you'll likely remove enough material to resolve any roundness or wear issues of the cylinder lining.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
because im all ready over budget with everything do you think ill be fine just sticking with the stock 100mm?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
You would have to measure the cylinder/piston to see if it is still within specification. If it is out then you would want to bore the cylinder. You could put an out of spec piston back in it but you will be spending more $$ in the long run because it is going to start smoking and have power loss much sooner than replacing it.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
100mm and 101mm pistons were the same price when I bought a about a month back, so that isn't really of any concern. On the other hand, if you are referring to the boring of your cylinder, that could be a different story, depending on how much a shop is going to charge you. Shouldn't be too outrageous regardless.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You haven't opened up the easiest, cheapest power gain available to you yet - the airbox (and then re-jetting). Next would be a full exhaust (which you're going to need if you work on the piston and cam anyway).

Don't throw money and effort at a piston cam until you see what can be done just with your exhaust and an opened up airbox.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a pretty nice Dr d slip on already installed do you think im gonna need a header? or will i be okay for now?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Your slip-on is just a noise maker. You aren't going to see much, if any, power gain from it without going to an aftermarket header.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
If you are looking to stay with a single exhaust, I'd sell the Dr.D slip-on and get a full Curtis Sparks, CT, or Yoshi exhaust. Best singles available.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Not all slip-ons are going to fit every header, so it's a chance you take by not buying a complete system. I know that the Powerbomb doesn't make the power that Sparks or the CT makes, not sure how it compares to the Yoshi though.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You want to take that stock header and throw it as far away as you can. If you want to gain power, that is one of the biggest things holding you back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts