Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons Raptor 50 has been sitting for a few years. Just soaked the carb, jets, etc for 3 days in cleaner. I assembled the carb, quad would not start and is now dumping fuel out of the overflow. Took the carb off again to check the floats / float valve which appeared ok. I removed the spark plug and cranked the engine and gas shot out of the cylinder. Anyone know why the quad is dumping fuel into the cylinder and out of the overflow?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The float is stuck or needs adjustment. Or the needle isn't sealing into the seat due to wear or debris.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I just pust a new float valve in the carb before this happened. Do I need to adjust it in someway? Last night I removed the floats, float valve, jets, and now have all parts and the carb soaking in cleaner. Hopefully if there is dirt this will do the trick.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If I were you I would probably just buy a carburetor rebuild kit and install a new float, needle, jets, etc.
They're only like $20 on ebay..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thanks again for the info. Hope to have this running again soon! It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I fixed the carb issue and the quad still does not run. It has spark and is getting fuel but does not even sputter. Compression feels a little week but since its a 50, don't expect it to be too strong. Any ideas....valve's to tight, etc??? Thanks!

·
Registered
836 Posts
OK, I fixed the carb issue and the quad still does not run. It has spark and is getting fuel but does not even sputter. Compression feels a little week but since its a 50, don't expect it to be too strong. Any ideas....valve's to tight, etc??? Thanks!
compression should not be weak on this machine.. these little quads should have a 10:1 compression ratio, which is more than 120psi.
If you have weak compression I would check to make sure your exhaust valve is seating correctly when it is fully closed. Make sure it's not cracked open at all, a small gap between the exhaust valve and the head will make the compression real low. And if the intake valve has a small gap between itself and the head, you will have no compression what so ever..
If it's not the valves that are messed up, it's probably the piston rings.

Have you ever taken the head off this machine before? If you have, did you put a new head gasket in place? If you didn't this could cause you to loose compression from air leaking out the side of the head.

Valves being too tight would just make the motor start popping after about 10 seconds of running, wouldn't keep it from firing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I can hold my finger over the spark plug hole and crank it with ease. I can feel a little pressure but very light. I never removed the head so don't think it is a gasket. Is the gap .15 -.20 on exhaust and .10 -.15 on intake?

·
Registered
836 Posts
not sure on the plug gapping, but you definitely should not be able to hold your finger over the spark plug hole without a fight lol

check to make sure that both choke plate screws are still there. It is very often that the tiny screws from the choke get sucked into the intake and bend the valves and/or destroy the piston on these little raptors causing you to have low to no compression... this happened to me when i had a raptor 80

1 - 9 of 9 Posts