Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Raptor 660r I had issues with in old battery replaced it and went for a ride shortly after I heard a noise coming from the starter so I parked it and turned it off but it was still trying to start its self. Shortly after I tried starting it agian and the relay would just click. So I replaced the relay switch and now it turns over agian but still won’t fire up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
893 Posts
So it ran fine, starter tried to engage mid ride, you disconnected battery and replaced relay, now it won’t fire up.
Have you checked for spark?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tested for spark and there was none but the spark plug looked perfectly fine so I tried it in my other quad and had spark. Not sure where to look next.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I’d be inclined to say it’s got something to do with some wires you may have bumped or unplugged when changing out the relay. Did you check the area you were working in?

·
Registered
893 Posts
That would be a strange coincidence if your ignition coil just happened to go out at the same time. Did you test the coil first?

Reactions: DEZPERADO

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,245 Posts
Yes I have checked the wires and connections I am going to replace the ignition coil.
Why are you replacing the coil? Did it test bad, no resistance per your manual. Or just for grins and giggles because you have no spark? You might as well replace the stator while you're at it and maybe the gas cap.

Seriously though, I bet your battery voltage is low, and the Chinese relay you put in is bad. Try jumping from your girl friends car.

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
NOOOO do not replace the coil! You will be throwing away your money.

Unplug the rectifier/regulator - does spark return?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am replacing the coil bc it was not reading the right resistance. When unplugging rectifier/regulator I still get no spark.

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
WHAT is the resistance you measured? Do you realize that a typical consumer multimeter does not have the capability to properly measure resistances below about 2 Ohms? 0.18 to 0.28 will never be seen.

Again, your coil is most likely not the issue, but spend the money if you are convinced. I will not say I told you so.

Think about the likelihood that the coil just suddenly went poof at the same time the relay became stuck on... not very likely. You have a wiring problem. Check around the battery and CDI for chafed wires.

Does your reverse light work properly right now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had removed the coil and tested it and it was reading OL ( open line ) so I know there is in issue with the could it’s self. I have also check all the wires around my battery and checked to make sure that all the connection into the CDI are good I am not fingering any open wires or loose connections. That’s not to say I disagree with you the fact the coil went bad during all this had me surprised as well.

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
So, the starter button will cause the starter to turn over now?

How familiar/facile are you with your digital Volt Ohm meter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not very lol I’m just trying to get it running as soon as possible. Did some research and did as they said.

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
PLEASE answer ALL questions! You are leaving answers out and are wasting our time... we ask them for a reason.

Again,- does it crank from the start button? Does the reverse light work?

There are two things on the coil to measure - which was OL and what value was the other?

So you trust your ' OL' measurement? What is the brand/model number of your meter?

Reactions: 38Fitters

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it cranks from the start button and yes the reverse light works.OL and can’t rember the other number off the top of my head. And yes I trust the voltage meter tester but not sure on the brand not trying to waist your time I am just frustrated with it.

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
OK, so based on your answers - the CDI is getting power, is at least partially working and is most likely ok. Stator and coil are left as culprits. Coils seldom fail. Stator is a thorn in Raptor's side. However I still see too much coincidence going on here.

What did you do between ' it was still trying to start its self' and 'Shortly after I tried starting it agian ' - how did it stop starting itself?

Which one was the OL?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While it was trying to start itself I turned the key off the kill switch off and then proceeded to unhook the battery so that there was no power going to it .

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
But what magic prevented it from repeating the self-starting when you re-connected the battery - the story here isn't making complete sense yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it wasn’t turning over agian it would click so I replaced the starter relay and now it turns over.

·
Master of the Electron
14,887 Posts
So after you unplugged the battery - when you re-connected battery it did not continue to self start again?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts