Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering do Raptors normaly ride rough?Because I've rode my buddys warrior350 and kawasaki 450 and they ride ALOT smoother...Is there anything I can do to get my ride better?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Please explain the rough part. Is it a rough like the shocks are not working and it beats you up, or is it more of ruff cause of tires?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk just the overall ride seem alot rougher than the other 2 quads I rode....I droped sum air pressure in my tires but haven't got to try it out yet...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Depending on your weight you should be running around 3-5 in rear and 6-7 in front. The raptor will ride a little rougher that a 450 stock to stock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K thanks.....Im thinking about getting rid of the raptor and getting a 450.After riding a 450 i like the way it handles alot better

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have rode alot of 450's and use to think the same thing. After riding a raptor with a good set of arms, shocks, and a +2 swingarm I will never think it again. It will never feel just like a 450 but you can make them very close and what you lose on the way it rides you gain on pure power.

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
It takes some work - extended a-arms, wider rear axle, yz shocks, anti-vibe steering stem... and a few more. BUT with all that, I truly hate riding a 450 when I can ride my Raptor instead.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I surprised myself the other weekend when riding a friends 450, it was hard work.
Yes it was lighter & turned in nicely, but no grunt unless it was revving its tits off, & i found it hard to ride fast after my raptor.

The smoothness I think has a lot to do with tires.
My back tires are going out of round & it makes the bike feel rough to ride.
I swapped wheels with my mate's 450, & it was way nicer, so I'm getting a set of those tires for my Raptor now

·
Registered
521 Posts
i feel beat up after a long night of riding my raptor (i mostly do night riding)...even with +2 arms and yfz shocks

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
i feel beat up after a long night of riding my raptor (i mostly do night riding)...even with +2 arms and yfz shocks
But can you compare to the same ride on a 450 instead?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I decide to keep the Raptor what are sum things I can do to make it quicker?Its already got full yoshi exhaust,K&N filter with the top air box cut out....If I jet the carbs what size jets should I put in?Is there any kind of computer I can put on it that would make a difference?

I raced a kawi 450 the other week and got beat...Im big into drag racing but the hardest thing for me is keeping the front end down

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
If you have those mods already on your bike, then the carbs SHOULD already be jetted for them, otherwise, you are going to know it. Does the bike feel like it has power through the whole powerband?

As far as your drag racing goes, 12 tooth front sprocket will make it quicker (13/40 is stock), but will wheelie more out of the hole. Extended swingarm, YFZ450 front shocks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If I decide to keep the Raptor what are sum things I can do to make it quicker?Its already got full yoshi exhaust,K&N filter with the top air box cut out....If I jet the carbs what size jets should I put in?Is there any kind of computer I can put on it that would make a difference?

I raced a kawi 450 the other week and got beat...Im big into drag racing but the hardest thing for me is keeping the front end down
3 plug head...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts