Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a CT full exhaust. I will have in short time the pro flow w/foam filter and will be removing lid.
My quad is stock everything.
I live in Carlsbad, NM and we are at 3100' alt.

Any ideas where I need to be on my jetting after I install airflow system and exhaust?

I am not sure what jetting system to use, or if I can use stock needle or not.

Most of the temps here avg around 90-95 deg. during summer and about 50-60 during winter.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Did you just buy the exhaust off eBay today??? I was watching one that went tonight...

I'm not much help with jetting because I suck at it but I do know you will need new needles. The Vito's kit seems to be the one of choice here lately.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, guilty as charged! I was hoping it would go for less, but still saved a bundle.

Is the vito kit a pretty good kit? I had called CT the other day, and theirs is $60.

However, I figured someone on here will know. Guess just give it a bit of time.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I seen it was going for 99 for a long time and wondered if it would go up but I missed it anyway, not that I need another exhaust but I just can't pass up good deals.

As far as jet kits go CT is good as is alot of the others(Vitos, GYTR, Dyno-jet) its just the vitos has more parts at a cheaper price. I run the GYTR before I got FCR's and will run the same kit in my 01 when I get it going. The down side to Dyno-jet is there jets are numbered different and there is no good way to cross reference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder if the Vitos sells just the thumb screw adj. by themselves?

I may just order the CT kit in, but I sure do like those thumb adj.

Is there a way to adj. the ones on the stock carb without removing them?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Not any easy way. The screws are nice but by themselfs they cost almost as much as the complete jet kit.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I came across a CT full exhaust. I will have in short time the pro flow w/foam filter and will be removing lid.
My quad is stock everything.
I live in Carlsbad, NM and we are at 3100' alt.

Any ideas where I need to be on my jetting after I install airflow system and exhaust?

I am not sure what jetting system to use, or if I can use stock needle or not.

Most of the temps here avg around 90-95 deg. during summer and about 50-60 during winter.

Thanks,
You should use #25 pilots, aftermarket needles and around 155 to 160 mikuni mains........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I use the Vitos kit, I should install the 155 and 160, 25 pilots, and there needle at say the mid clip. Then install their mixture screw around 2.5 turns?

Does this sound about right?

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Vitos comes with necessary mains, 25 pilots, aftermarket needles AND the extended screws - much better deal at $50 than the CT kit, IMO.

Your jetting ideas are about right, except I'd suggest 160L/160R mains with the open air box and CT pipe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am new at this, so this is a newbie question,
Is there a reason to run the same size in both carbs?
Or should I step it up to 160/165?

I did order the vitos kit.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You run a the smaller size jet in the left carb as it only feed 1 valve and only a small passage to the others and the right carb feeds 2 valves.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am new at this, so this is a newbie question,
Is there a reason to run the same size in both carbs?
Or should I step it up to 160/165?

I did order the vitos kit.
The left carb feeds the left and center valve, but it is restricted to the center valve, there it requires a smaller main jet, if it is ported and the crossover feed to the center valve from the left intake port has been opened to equalize the porting, then you can use a similar main jet............

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Understand. So you think I will be fine with the 155L and 160R with the vitos needle about mid clip, 25 pilots, and around 2.5 turns on the screws as a start?

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Try the 155L/160R... if you have issues at WOT, up it to 160L/165R.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the vitos kit in. I believe after talking with him, he stated that kit is designed (instructions written for around sea level). In the inst. he states clip on 4th groove. HOwever from your guys instructions, I prob. should use mid clip. I do have a question, when he says 4th groove, is that from the bottom of the needle counting up, or from the top of the needle counting down?

thanks.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Got the vitos kit in. I believe after talking with him, he stated that kit is designed (instructions written for around sea level). In the inst. he states clip on 4th groove. HOwever from your guys instructions, I prob. should use mid clip. I do have a question, when he says 4th groove, is that from the bottom of the needle counting up, or from the top of the needle counting down?

thanks.
Top is #1................

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so I installed the 155L and 160R, 25 pilots. The clip in the mid. slot on the needles. i did leave the thin washer on the bot. of the clip, but did not install the large plastic washer. i then installed the thicker washer on top. Pretty much the same setup as stock, minu the thick plastic washer.

Installed CT exhaust, and pro-flo foam filter with lid removed. She seems to be running pretty good. Pulls hard thru 4th (did not go to 5th as my back tires have slime...bad mistake and it throws them off bal.)

I do have one question. When I am running wide open say in 3 or 4th and letoff, every now and then I get a very small pop. Its not a loud pop, but when coasting down in 4th or 3rd I might hear one or two very faint pops. The CT is pretty loud, so I assume this is prob. normal. Again, the pops are very very faint.

However, when it was at idle one time, it just backfired and shut off. I started it right back up and it has not done it but the one time. Does this mean my idle is too rich or too lean?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, forgot to mention the backfire at idle was thru the carbs, not the exhaust.

I am not too concerned about the faint pops during de-acceleration, as it rarely does it and when it does do it, they are very faint.

But the backfire out the carbs did concern me as it prob. means my low end setting on the pilot screw is prob. off, and I don't want to torch my foam filter!:D:D

So, seeing as it's seems to be idling pretty decent, is there a true fire way to dial in the pilots while it's running? I have the vitos adj. in so they make it easier to do so. I have great acceleration and I did test from idle thru mid range and also from like 1/4 throttle after my speed stabl. I hit the throttle very quick and did not feel any hesitation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
<3 my CT exhaust

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Open your fuel screws (CCW) another 1/4 turn - popping on decel / backfiring should go away. Idle mixture is too lean.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts