Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been browsing around the forum for a few minutes and even doing a lot of searching. It seems to be a common problem with the p-brake switch malfunctioning and not allowing these quads to REV up. Only thing is from what I understand there is no p brake switch for the 05 as there were in previous years.

This isnt my ATV, it is a close friends and basically it was in storage for a decent amount of time because he moved into a new house and it couldn't go with him. It barely even has 15hrs on it. I just cleaned the carbs out real good because they were gunked up with old gas but the bike will not stay running.

It will start right up with no problems but as soon as you hit the throttle it will sputter and die out like a safety limiter is on. It was doing this before I cleaned the carbs as well just has a harder time starting so thats why my first guess was carbs needed a good cleaning. I have seen opinions as an airleak which I'm pretty sure it isnt, to the valves needing to be adjusted. I have no problem adjusting the valves but with such low run time on this bike I dont believe that could be the case, although anything is possible. Any other hints to what it is? There is no backfiring going on or anything, if I adjust the idle up at the carb I can get it to build higher RPM's just not at the throttle.

The bike ran fine before it was stored for some time as well.

Hope someone can help, suppose to finally get some snow where i live and need someone else to ride around with. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but I had the same problem.I would double check the float level and make sure the needle valve beneath it is moving freely especially on the left carb,[sitting on the machine].If its not popping etc, I doubt its an ign. problem. Stupid question but, did you turn the gas on?? Don't laugh, I forgot!!! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah the gas is on. I just pulled the carbs and tore them apart and cleaned them up real good. The odd thing is if I start it up with the choke on, i can manually adjust the idle speed at the carb and i can get it to build some RPM's but as soon as the throttle itself is touched it will die out. It also doesnt seem to want to idle with the choke off I noticed. I guess I will pull the carbs again, and while I'm at it check the valves.

I have had other Yamaha ATV;s and had prob somewhat like this and thats the main reason I think it has to do with some switch or whatever somewhere on the bike. Kinda like the Banshee and its TORS system, does pretty much exactly what my shee did. Also it can sit and idle with the choke on for a while so I dont believe its a fuel issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do the 05 raptors have this p-brake switch? I have seen many people say it doesnt and a lot say it do. I assume the little piece going into the lever is the neutral switch?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
What is the temperature where you're at? If it's very cold, that will effect the a/f ratio and make it not want to run.

Cold air=dense air. Dense air=running lean.

That would make sense if it tires to run a little better with the choke on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its def colder here then when it was originally stored but he ran it last winter with no problems. I'm pretty familiar with jetting so I dont think that is the case just because of how easily it dies out as soon as the throttle is touched. I will richen it up a little to see if it helps but it really seems like a cut of safety feature or something. I would think even it was a little lean it would be hard to start or it would hesitate trying to give it a little gas. As soon as the throttle is touched is dies out pretty much.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
When I moved here, I went down 3k feet in elevation from where is was jetted, which is similair to a major change in tempurature. My quad did the exact same thing you're describing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I will go with the jetting for now i guess. Only question though, if its fires right up with the choke wouldnt that mean the pilot circuit is fairly close to what it should be? I was always under the assumption if it was to lean it would be hard to start. Since its also when I try to give it gas it dies out, should I raise the needles a notch to let in more fuel?

·
Registered
51 Posts
my 05 rappy wont take ANY gas till its warmed up for at least 2 mins, but i know my jettings off a tad bit,(I waschaceing fuel level probs with jets)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I wouldn't worry about messing with the jetting unless you plan on riding it during the cold months... because it will probably be fine once it warms up.

I just did a bunch of mods to my quad, and I don't intend to jet it until it reaches 70*, because from what I've been told, you have a 20* buffer in either direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nevermind, pulled the carb once again and the left float valve was hung up pretty good. :banghead: All fixed now, at least i know everything else is ok with the bike since i checked it all in the process

1 - 11 of 11 Posts