Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend is freaking out because he got a 660 a month ago and yesterday it started doing a wimper or whistle. My thought was the water pump but it doesnt seem to be making noise there.

I know nothing about them, I got the service manual but that doesn't help.

Give me stuff to check please!
Save him a couple bucks.

Its not coming out of the airbox. Thought the starter was not disengaging but not really.

pull the clutch in and it stays the same.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My friend is freaking out because he got a 660 a month ago and yesterday it started doing a wimper or whistle. My thought was the water pump but it doesnt seem to be making noise there.

I know nothing about them, I got the service manual but that doesn't help.

Give me stuff to check please!
Save him a couple bucks.

Its not coming out of the airbox. Thought the starter was not disengaging but not really.

pull the clutch in and it stays the same.
You will need to give a little more information then saying your raptor is whistling...............
If you check around the quad, you should be able to figure where the noise is coming from, exhaust maybe.............

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust leaks are visible here in MN because it is colder, or atleast can be felt. I may have to double check though, thanks.

Seriously have no idea what the sound is, and my ear to the motor doesn't help

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
Take about a two-three foot piece of rubber or vinyl hose, put one end to your ear, take the other end and move it around the engine until you can isolate the general area from which the noise is coming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
its a 2004, sorry

do they not make a 06?
Took it to a local dealer, they said its either a tranny bearings or rod bearings, they say $600 labor and a lot in parts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
its a 2004, sorry

do they not make a 06?
Took it to a local dealer, they said its either a tranny bearings or rod bearings, they say $600 labor and a lot in parts
they make the 700 in 06.....I would get a second opinion or show us a video before commiting to a $1000 + engine job

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish it was 2t, we could just do it, but this has valves + a piston u gotta get set up -_-

I haven't found a good tutorial on it yet.

Problem is if we dont know exactly whats wrong once we tear in there, hopefully it would be fairly obvious.
Hes getting a second opinion tomorrow, changing the oil and checking for shavings, we'll do the tube thing and listen around.

Just stinks, got it less than a month ago

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
When does it make the sound? At idle, during start-up, or under load while riding? Is it a whistle or more of a squeal? Problems are to be expected of used quads though, gotta be careful when you buy them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
while running at any speed, It increases a little when you rev the motor. a low pitch whistle, kinda like a whimper.

Im not helping much but I thought if its making a whistle, its probably something obvious, but its not the starter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a second opinion today

(btw the noise increases when revved)

Real GROOVY dude helped us out at his motorsports shop

He seems to think it is the piston connecting rod bearing, or something wrong with the piston.

~$600 to fix including parts he says ( new rod and bearing pressed on the crank, new piston likely)
we have to pull the motor and bring it to him tomorrow, we'll check everything out.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
Let us know how it turns out - never heard this one before!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Got a second opinion today

(btw the noise increases when revved)

Real GROOVY dude helped us out at his motorsports shop

He seems to think it is the piston connecting rod bearing, or something wrong with the piston.

~$600 to fix including parts he says ( new rod and bearing pressed on the crank, new piston likely)
we have to pull the motor and bring it to him tomorrow, we'll check everything out.
If the upper rod bearing is gouged on one side, make sure you do the oil mod............

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Whats a real GROOVY dude?? Am I in a parallel universe back in the 60's??? COOOL. Talk to some mechanics that rebuild these engines. Maybe your groovy dude can help. Send us a video if you can. Lots of help here. Most uf us old timers are groovy.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
I'm feelin' kinda groovy and outa sight tonight. Right on! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^hahas at the groovy post, I was just being GOOFY.

Got the service manual out yesterday, pulled the motor, brought it to the shop.
^this was to save some $ on labor

Should've got pic's, but I was not big into working on it > Not my stuff , New nice stuff with good plastics, Im used to crap. But I did it because he is my buddy so its good.

Guy took off the top end while we watched.
Nothing too bad in the top end I guess. There is one small gouge the upper cam journal. Didn't seem to bother him.
Piston walls on the intake and exhaust side I think ( I couldn't keep which side was which straight because its a 4stroke ;) )
had a horizontal line on them. Pretty light but still noticable to the untrained eye.
Rod had a little bluing on on it, spun freely, and looked straight with the naked eye.
Took off the flywheel side of the motor too. Had a little bit of grey goo in there.
When we pulled the motor, not really any flakes / shavings we could see.

If the upper rod bearing is gouged on one side, make sure you do the oil mod............
The flywheels side of the rod arm you can see copper, on the clutch side, you cant see copper, However, side to side play is within spec & there is no Lateral play.

If you want please pm me on how to do this oil mod, we will likely do it, the wrist pin on the piston was a little ugly, but came off with a gentle tap of a hammer and the right size socket.
but again, the upper bearing was showing some wear visually.

ill keep you all updated, as well as some pictures maybe. kinda boring without photos

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
Were any of these issues that you saw a likely cause of your noise?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I suggest you split the lower case and check the pickup screen. These usualy are loaded with debris. Clean everything well befor reassembly. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I kinda had a similar sound, but it had more of a pronounced knocking as well, it ended up being crank bearings. I put in a new crank, piston etc, but no oil mod. Hope it doesn't trash my stroker! Here's what came out my sump.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts