Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this raptor used and abused from a young kid I knew it was a lil rough, handle bars hit the fuel cap on full turns, it had a broken upper control arm and no rear brakes and so on. Well after I washed it up good to do some work on it I discoverd that where the shifer shaft comes out of the left side case has been borken and reapplyed with JB weld that is now cracked and leaking. My worry if I leave it the way it is it's going to open up and dump ALL the oil out right away. From the looks of it at some point the chain came off and bunched up around the front sproket and broke it.

I know the right way to fix it is to replace both case halfs but that looks like a non fun project and I might as well rebuild the motor if I am going that far. My next thought it to pull the motor and try to have it tig welded with the motor still togather If they don't get it perfect I could always put JB weld over the real weld to seal it from leaking that way I wouldn't be counting on JB weld to hold it togather.

Any suggestions or fixes that work for this problem would be greatly appriceated

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
615 Posts
The proper way to fix it is replace that case half but a friend of mine had this happen on his YFZ. To get it tig welded they wanted the motor apart. He took a dremel and ground the area around the crack and then applied JD weld to seal it. Grinding the case gave a better surface for the JD weld to adhere to. He had the YFZ for another 2 years then sold it and it never had any other issues leaking while he had it. You could try to remove the old JB weld and give it a shot, if it doesn't leak your only out the little bit of time and the cost of the JB weld.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I is not a easy or cheap job to do. I'll be honest if mine had a small enough crack to fix I would have JB welded it:lol: When used right it works good. I know its not the proper way but hey it works.

·
Registered
482 Posts
JB weld all the way, I repaired my old Banshee with it 3-4 years ago and sold it to a friend and it still never leaked..As above, Its all in how you prep and clean... Great invention.. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i would do it to but then you'll always have the feeling to check to see if its leaking. And it is fun tearing her apart u get to know the bike inside and out literally JMO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I would like to ride it a bit B4 doing a full tear down like that cause I might as well do piston/rings and valve job when I have it torn appart, I am not affraid to do it I have rebuilt many manual car transmissions and this can't be much worse.

I think I am going to clean it up really good and see about getting it tig welded, even if they can't get all the crack or seal it up really well at least the weld will keep if from flexing and cracking the JB weld.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts