Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any real upgrades that have been made to the 07 raptor, other than the se with the 450 shocks ? I am looking at new 06's because there are some good deals.

I did the same thing before I bought an 01 660 and then after found out all of the things they changed on the newer ones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
New for 2007:

* New front brake master cylinder features an adjustable lever for increased comfort and feel.
* New, drilled rear brake disc reduces unsprung weight for improved suspension action and excellent braking feel.

Thats straight from the site. Probably not worth the money to get an 07 just for these reasons. Dont think it would make a difference to the average person unless you are EXTREMELY serious! I went with the 06 also just becauase I was able to save enough money it wasnt worth it for the shocks. You can get the shocks on ebay for about 200 bucks if you want them later down the road. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
you should be looking at 07 vs 08, unless ofcourse the 06 is like 1000 cheaper, never buy the first model out, always let the factory work out the kinks first.

·
Registered
261 Posts
SMIB fursure said:
you should be looking at 07 vs 08, unless ofcourse the 06 is like 1000 cheaper, never buy the first model out, always let the factory work out the kinks first.
Yeah and these darn 06's sure have been plagued with kinks. ::)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The only thing I hate about the 06 is the squilling from the rear brakes. I need to put a better rotor and pads on it to solve the problem but when it starts squilling just slam down on the rear brake and don't hit it again, makes mine stop anyways

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah I havnt read about that many problems with the first year raptor....Really like stated above the rear breaks squeal. I guess i dont see that worth spending a bunch of extra money on a new model when you can save a bunch and get the 06 and buy a new rotor and some pads if you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I bought it, got me a new 06 se , I really dig the old school yellow and black and it was like 1700 off of what an 07 would have cost me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
marsrace2 said:
well I bought it, got me a new 06 se , I really dig the old school yellow and black and it was like 1700 off of what an 07 would have cost me.
Sounds like a wise choice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had an 06 and sold it and bought an 07 SE. The new shocks make a ton of difference. I tried YFZ shocks on my old 06, and sold them cause they lowered the quad too much. Id reccomend finding some shocks off of an 07 SE, well worth it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
the yfz shocks dont HAVE TO lower the bike at all.... ALL you have to do is tighten the preload a little bit on the yfz shocks... and you gain the inch back that the yfz shocks lowered the bike.....
so all you had to do was tighten them up a little bit... and your bike would sit exactly the same height it did before the yfz shocks...

Plattner

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tightened and adjusted for weeks and it never got back up to the same level. Sorry not buying it.

plattner said:
the yfz shocks dont HAVE TO lower the bike at all.... ALL you have to do is tighten the preload a little bit on the yfz shocks... and you gain the inch back that the yfz shocks lowered the bike.....
so all you had to do was tighten them up a little bit... and your bike would sit exactly the same height it did before the yfz shocks...

Plattner

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
kre62 said:
I tightened and adjusted for weeks and it never got back up to the same level. Sorry not buying it.

plattner said:

Plattner
I will let you know, I just picked up myself a pair of brand new 06' YFZ shocks. We'll see how it goes once I get them :thumbsup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
yfz shocks have different springs than the SE shocks. No adjusting will make them the same. Just look at a picture of the two and you'll see the tighter coil on the yfz shocks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I havent had any problems with my 06. I ride the Sand Pretty Hard.
The New Shocks wouldnt make me go with a 07 If I could save 1700 Dollars
Congrats on the New 06 Raptor

Robe

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just put '07 YFZ450 shocks on mine and although I didn't measure before/after, the front dropped significantly. However, I've got no problem with that since the rear is the lowest point on the bike anyway. I've also not even got to ride with the new shocks yet, so I'm anxious to try them. There is a noticeable size difference in the YFZ shocks, in that the springs are larger in diameter than the Raptor shocks.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Chicagoland Atv said:
yfz shocks have different springs than the SE shocks. No adjusting will make them the same. Just look at a picture of the two and you'll see the tighter coil on the yfz shocks.
Depends on what year yfz shocks you use. The 04 has a better spring IMO for transfer to a raptor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts