Raptor Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
I dont know if there is a way to check the CPS besides taking your meter and checking the plugs that come out of the top of the left side case, the CPS is the smaller of the 2 plugs. And the spark plug wont spark if the CPS isnt getting any reading from the flywheel...the CPS mount could be simply bent away from the proper spot or could be bad. I believe the stator is just to keep your battery charged. Because I accidentaly unplugged mine and it ran fine without it, but the battery just lost charge every 2 days or so. So you need to first take the smaller of the 2 side plugs in the case out and roll the bike until you can see a knob from the flywheel in the window and see if you can see the CPS pickup in there and try to get something in there to take a measurement. Feeler guages are too wide and I had an extra head gasket laying around so I cut that up and slipped it in there and got it adjusted right, you have to take the case side off and bend the tab toward the inside to do this. But it should be around 15 thousandths.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So I'm pretty sure I found my problem. Two wires on the ECU plug are not making contact, or so I believe. I didn't have continuity between the red/black wire at the coil to the red/black wire at the ECU. The red/black wire seems a bit loose at the ECU plug (and so does the black wire - ground?) and I can't see the contact using a flashlight like I can the others.

Is there any way to take the plug apart and repair this? I'm thinking not. I'm also thinking I won't be able to purchase just the ECU plug, so I might end up buying a wiring harness and either re-running everything, or splicing the new plug in. Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So I was looking at wiring harnesses again on ebay today, and came across this one. It came with the coil, and I am wondering if someone can tell me what the black wire attached to the coil is? I don't have that on mine and I couldn't see a connection point that was missing it's wire...

Is that the black wire that's currently connected to my negative battery post?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just an update in case someone comes googling along later:

My problem was indeed the ECU plug. The black and red/black wires are loose and if I shove them in far enough and put everything back together, I get spark and the bike runs fine. I've got a new wiring harness on the way for a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My prob

Just an update in case someone comes googling along later:

My problem was indeed the ECU plug. The black and red/black wires are loose and if I shove them in far enough and put everything back together, I get spark and the bike runs fine. I've got a new wiring harness on the way for a more permanent solution.

I've ran into the same problem you did. But i am unsure where the wires you are talking about are located. Could you give me some more info? Or some pics, if you have them available.
Where did you get your new wiring harness, and do you have a price on it? Thanks
Robbie

41 - 48 of 48 Posts