Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to pick up a 07 Raptor 80. We know it didn't run when we bought it but were hoping to figure it out. The previous owner put a new motor in it last year because the old one wouldn't run. Not sure why he didn't get it fixed, the spare motor looks to be in nice shape, at least the bottom end does? Anyways, we got it home, I cleaned the carb, checked for spark, and put the battery on the charger. It cranks over, but will not fire. I am going to be picking up a compression tester small enough to test it, but not tonight. After reading a bunch of posts on them, I hear the valves may be out of adjustment. Does anyone have any info on how to adjust them. I have never worked on a four-stroke before. Thanks for any advice. Also, if anyone needs any parts off from the other spare motor I have, let me know and I will take some pics. I'm located in Michigan.

·
Registered
836 Posts
valves could just be out of adjustment...
Don't bother with a compression tester, try just pulling out the spark plug and putting your finger over the spark plug hole. There should be enough pressure to blow your finger out of the hole (120psi) If the compression doesn't feel very strong, I would check the carburetor to make sure that both screws holding the choke plate in place are still there.. These screws are known for getting sucked into the motor and destroying the top end (happened to my Raptor 80)

·
Registered
74 Posts
use a compression tester i bought a bike it had enough compression to blow my finger off but when i tested it with compression tester it had 40psi so no the finger method dont work

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did put my finger to it, it does have compression there, but would still like to test to see exactly how much. Looks like I should buy a manual for this little dog and also adjust those valves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 08 raptor 80 and it runs good at an idle but once you start riding it around it craps out and wants 2 die,raplaced the carb,did not help.also very hard to start have to push start or jump it with my truck.Anyone have any suggestions,i was thinking its the valves or timing,any feedback or pics would b nice thank you.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have an 08 raptor 80 and it runs good at an idle but once you start riding it around it craps out and wants 2 die,raplaced the carb,did not help.also very hard to start have to push start or jump it with my truck.Anyone have any suggestions,i was thinking its the valves or timing,any feedback or pics would b nice thank you.
Mine did that, I adjusted the "gold" looking screw on the carb, and that really helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
is there any way to adjust the cam chain tensioner,or does anybody have a picture or diagram for the top end on a 08 raptor 80,a manual would b nice,thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts