Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Mike here from the other side of the pond (Scotland). Thought it's about time I started to contribute some more to this site...

Anyway, have been a Raptor owner long than I remember, all starting with my 03 660, through several other 660s then in to the 700s.

Anyway enough about that, here is my build thread for the 08 Raptor 700 SE in Red and White. Delivered minus back wheels, axle and swing arm....

The reason being the axle carrier wasn't turning and someone started to strip it down but couldn't remove the carrier from the axle (helps to remove the big circlip first) also looks like it has been attacked with an angle grinder and a flap disc...

What have I got myself into...

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Are you going to ride it on the street? I always wondered what kind of bearings guys use on street legal quads. The factory ones aren’t really designed to hold up to higher speeds for extended amounts of time, at least in my experience

I know RPM offers a carrier with tapered bearings, not sure if that helps or hurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you going to ride it on the street? I always wondered what kind of bearings guys use on street legal quads. The factory ones aren’t really designed to hold up to higher speeds for extended amounts of time, at least in my experience

I know RPM offers a carrier with tapered bearings, not sure if that helps or hurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, both are fully road legal. The blue one is my baby, had it from new in 2009. 16k+ miles on it now. Top quality sealed ball bearings hold up just fine. In fact I have only recently replaced the front wheels bearings and rear carrier bearings from new. Well the carrier was replaced about 6 months after I got it for the billet carrier and dual race ball bearings. The bearings were actually fine and I could of probably re-installed but for the sake of £250 I replaced every bush, bearing and seal. So new wheels bearings and seals carrier bearings and seals, swing arm bearings seals and bushes, a arm bushes, link bushes and seals etc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a little more progress with the strip down, as you can see. Someone sprayed the whole bike, I mean everything, wiring loom, hoses, engine, frame, seals. This is going to be fun!

Yes that is also 2 wheels spacers bolted together.... And yes someone tried the "Baby Blue Wire Mod" and made a bit of a hash of it...

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
155 Posts
Looks like you have a project on your hands! It'll be worth it when it's done. My quad is street legal as well. Fun toys to putt around on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts