Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and first time poster!

Picked up an 05 660 couple weeks ago. Had been sitting for about awhile so I knew the carbs needed cleaned. Got the carbs cleaned and installed and it would just crank and crank. Installed new spark plug, still just cranks. Pulled the wire and checked for spark, gets spark.
While visiting YouTube I saw a video about adjusting valve lash. Pulled the cover off, intake valves were extremely tight! Adjusted the intake valves, put everything back together and BAM!! I had a running quad!! I was pumped!! During my repair work on the raptor, I had the cdi unbolted from the battery hole and plugged in so I didnt had the put the rear plastics on everytime I tried to test start it. This morning was tragic.
I have been tinkering with it trying to get it to run since I bought it and I was ready to ride! I went out this morning and started it to see if it would still fire up and it did. I let it warm up for a little bit. It was doing the "touch the throttle, it dies" thing so I was letting it warm up longer to see if that helped, which it did. I was so freaking pumped at this point. I shut the raptor down, disconnected the cdi, installed cdi in battery hole, installed rear plastics, hooked up cdi and battery, added more gas to the tank and installed the seat. I was ready to ride! Opened the garage door, turned the ignition on and hit the start button...... nothing happened.

WTF!

Checked battery connections, good and tight.
Checked cdi connections, good and clicked.
Why am I not getting anything. I thought maybe a wire got kinked somehow. I took the killswitch apart, cleaned and reassembled, still nothing. Doesnt even turn the motor over. So I jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, motor spins but doesnt fire up. I pull the plug and check for spark with the solenoid jumped, no spark. Battery is sitting at 12.6 volts. Checked continuity from kill switch to cdi connectors, got continuity. Checked continuity from coil to cdi connectors, got continuity.

So.....

Is the 1 in a million problem my cdi randomly taking a dump from when it was unplugged to when I had everything hooked back up.
Is there a way to check the cdi with a meter?
This is my first atv so I dont know much about them.
I appreciate any advice yall have.

Sorry for the narrative as well.

Forgot to mention my theory. Cdi controls spark right? And jumping the solenoid means the solenoid is bad correct?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,604 Posts
New member and first time poster!

Picked up an 05 660 couple weeks ago. Had been sitting for about awhile so I knew the carbs needed cleaned. Got the carbs cleaned and installed and it would just crank and crank. Installed new spark plug, still just cranks. Pulled the wire and checked for spark, gets spark.
While visiting YouTube I saw a video about adjusting valve lash. Pulled the cover off, intake valves were extremely tight! Adjusted the intake valves, put everything back together and BAM!! I had a running quad!! I was pumped!! During my repair work on the raptor, I had the cdi unbolted from the battery hole and plugged in so I didnt had the put the rear plastics on everytime I tried to test start it. This morning was tragic.
I have been tinkering with it trying to get it to run since I bought it and I was ready to ride! I went out this morning and started it to see if it would still fire up and it did. I let it warm up for a little bit. It was doing the "touch the throttle, it dies" thing so I was letting it warm up longer to see if that helped, which it did. I was so freaking pumped at this point. I shut the raptor down, disconnected the cdi, installed cdi in battery hole, installed rear plastics, hooked up cdi and battery, added more gas to the tank and installed the seat. I was ready to ride! Opened the garage door, turned the ignition on and hit the start button...... nothing happened.

WTF!

Checked battery connections, good and tight.
Checked cdi connections, good and clicked.
Why am I not getting anything. I thought maybe a wire got kinked somehow. I took the killswitch apart, cleaned and reassembled, still nothing. Doesnt even turn the motor over. So I jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, motor spins but doesnt fire up. I pull the plug and check for spark with the solenoid jumped, no spark. Battery is sitting at 12.6 volts. Checked continuity from kill switch to cdi connectors, got continuity. Checked continuity from coil to cdi connectors, got continuity.

So.....

Is the 1 in a million problem my cdi randomly taking a dump from when it was unplugged to when I had everything hooked back up.
Is there a way to check the cdi with a meter?
This is my first atv so I dont know much about them.
I appreciate any advice yall have.

Sorry for the narrative as well.

Forgot to mention my theory. Cdi controls spark right? And jumping the solenoid means the solenoid is bad correct?
12.6 volts is a discharged battery, you want around 13.6 or more. Charge it for a few days.
Try jumping the battery from the wife's car.
Check the CDI connector for bent, recessed or corroded pins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you DEZPERADO for responding. Hooked it up to my truck to jump it and still no luck. This morning I checked all of the wires that connect to the cdi and checked for continuity other their other ends, all was good. Not sure what else to check, newbie to all this atv stuff.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,604 Posts
I would suspect the key switch or wiring isn't making contact.

Search for "Most common Raptor 660 problems".

PM a email address to Morphrider for a free manual with wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suspect the key switch or wiring isn't making contact.

Search for "Most common Raptor 660 problems".

PM a email address to Morphrider for a free manual with wiring diagrams.
Figured it out. Wasn't getting any power to the start button because the spring behind the killswitch rusted out and the contacts weren't making.....contact. it's the littlest things that get overlooked lol thank you DEZPERADO!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts