Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard about people putting a -1 swinger on their quads. Lately its dawned on me more and more that this might be good for my riding (stunting, light jumping, trail) I figured I should at least look into it as I can do the modify a spare swinger myself. What are the benefits of a shortened swinger?

On another note, would I be better switching my 01 remote ressi to a piggyback? I know the remote is supposed to keep the shock cooler by now that I have dual exhaust I'm thinking that piggyback may be better.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe that nobody has responded yet. Well either way I invested in a $35 swingarm that I am going to be chopping apart to shorten. If anyone has any tips (maybe willykiller will have some advice) I'd appreciate it. I love to wheelie and think that if I could do so for video purposes it would be alot of fun.

Does shortening the swingarm make it easier to balance a wheelie?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I think a shorty would make the ride a bit harsher but would make trail and MX riding better. But you do have to watch your tire clearance on the heal guards

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
PLEASE TAKE PICTURE OF YOUR CHOPPED UP SWINGARM... I will be doing this soon for something top secret >.> Also how is that 35$ stock swingarm from ebay? i was wondering if it was fake or not... I've got no idea on any of your other questions sorry... bump?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Stunting perhaps, but a shortened arm on a 660 is typically only used for flattrack racing. The MX guys run a +1.25 or +1.5 and the trail guys run a +2 or +4 depending on the power output. Aside of course from those who simply run stock.

If it's going to cost you very little give it a shot, but I would recommend an extra 2 inches not subtracting one for most riding types. The benefit of a shorter arm is that your weight is more directly over the tires which provides for better traction. You will wheelie easier (good for stunting I'd imagine) and turn sharper (possibly to the extent that you spin out more often). A shorter wheel base will make undulating terrain more difficult to navigate and most terrains rougher. To what extent you will experience these things I cannot say.

A piggyback will keep it clear of any dual exhausts, but a remote with a long line that goes to the front of the bike would be even better for shock oil temps. That said if your choice is stock shock vs stock shock I'd go piggyback.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can't believe that nobody has responded yet. Well either way I invested in a $35 swingarm that I am going to be chopping apart to shorten. If anyone has any tips (maybe willykiller will have some advice) I'd appreciate it. I love to wheelie and think that if I could do so for video purposes it would be alot of fun.

Does shortening the swingarm make it easier to balance a wheelie?

I can see what you are wanting to do BUT I feel like I have a motor build that is a bit more tame than yours and I rode my 686 for over a year with a stock swinger. I could wheelie mine in 4th all throttle. With a plus two it still comes up in 3rd in the dunes. I really can't imagine wanting a shorter swinger for any reason. After having my plus 2 for a season or so I can honestly say it does everything better, jumps, slides, whoops, wheelies are more stable and easier to hold up with it. Never hurts to experiement(except with doods;)) but I would weld an extension in that extra swinger you bought and try that.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I've heard about people putting a -1 swinger on their quads. Lately its dawned on me more and more that this might be good for my riding (stunting, light jumping, trail) I figured I should at least look into it as I can do the modify a spare swinger myself. What are the benefits of a shortened swinger?

On another note, would I be better switching my 01 remote ressi to a piggyback? I know the remote is supposed to keep the shock cooler by now that I have dual exhaust I'm thinking that piggyback may be better.
We ran a -3.75 on my Raptor on the oval track without any problems except when launching in 2nd gear, I had to incorporate a holeshot device for the front supension to keep it down to help with the launch.
With 19.5 tires, I still had lots of room to the heel guards............

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have heel guards but will probably be making some, especially since my tires are going to be closer. I haven't gotten the swingarm yet but it looked decent in the pictures (needed some cleaning though).

My quad doesn't want to wheelie in 4th unless I'm in perfect terrain (moist trails really getting on it) so I'm thinking that my traction is an issue. Between worn tires and me being 150lbs there just isn't enough bite. I can see dunes with paddles giving me a bunch of bite but I don't do that so it wouldn't help.

Willy did you mod a stock swingarm? Do you have any tips on it if so.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I don't have heel guards but will probably be making some, especially since my tires are going to be closer. I haven't gotten the swingarm yet but it looked decent in the pictures (needed some cleaning though).

My quad doesn't want to wheelie in 4th unless I'm in perfect terrain (moist trails really getting on it) so I'm thinking that my traction is an issue. Between worn tires and me being 150lbs there just isn't enough bite. I can see dunes with paddles giving me a bunch of bite but I don't do that so it wouldn't help.

Willy did you mod a stock swingarm? Do you have any tips on it if so.
Yep, I modded a stock swinger, got rid of the connecting arm and linkage and went with a straight hookup with the shock to the swinger, and I didnt use the stock shock or stock shock length..............

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I would assume from what you are saying that maybe the travel is not equal to the stock arm. Maybe you did something more conducive more flat tracking? :D

I'll have to play around with the shock and linkage when I start doing in order to keep them. I thought if I have the flipped rear link and take 1" out of the arm maybe it will sit back to a stock height. Going to be an experiment/experience for sure.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I said dunes but really anywhere there is traction the front end is off the ground. I run holeshot xct. That is a 22 and it does bite hard. I have found it to be nearly the same with holeshot hd's also. Try some different tires that match your riding area. It is always fun to experiment with the toys, its just kinda strange what you are trying to do IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem is my riding area changes so much. In WI the trail that I have been riding is top soil in one place, loose sand in another and rock in yet a different place. Back in MI I ride alot of farm fields that are hardpack (no-till planting), gravel and grass.

I don't think they make a universal tire that is good for all of them. The best tires that I have found are the turf-tamers but they are a low ply tire and I like a thicker ply for puncture/sidewall protection. I was thinking for my next tire to get a set of Razr2's

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought I should just be one of those people that make a burnout video on youtube burning the tires off... but I just can't justify 1/2 of a tire tread! It would be fun for about 10 min though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts