Raptor Forum banner

10:75 Compression on 87 octane?

911 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  k5ride 
#1 ·
The other day I ran out of gas and had to use some regular 87 octane and to my surprise it ran fine. Not a spit, sputter or ping. It didn't have as much power as 93 but none the the less it still ran great. I know I'm running 10:75:1 so what gives? I was told that it would run like crap on anything other than 93 but it does. I'm also pretty close to sea level which I thought would have made it worse. Any input?

#2 ·
I've gotten away with 87 before as well. The thing is that while it may not constantly pre-detonate running that kind of octane it's the occasional situation where the octane is truly being tested that you want the higher grade. It's not to say the engine always needs premium fuel to keep from pinging but it needs it often enough to make premium fuel the best choice.

#3 ·
I do like running premium but it's nice to know I can use whatever is around to get me home. :lol: Oh, I was wanting to know about posting....I have a lot of qustions and was wanting to know if I should combine them in one post or keep them separate?

#4 ·
Well if the questions are related I'd sure put them together. If you're wondering about engine mods and riding boots those are the kinds of things you can pull apart and post separately.

There is a wealth of knowledge posted up here already but it's far, far, far from comprehensive on any subject. I'd make sure to scan the stickied threads and do a few searches before asking some of the questions, if nothing else you can get a better idea of what you want to ask.

We've got 4 660 forums;

General
Suspension
Mods
Maintenance

Just try to keep your questions in the ballpark and if you're not sure where to post it just put it in the General section and it can be moved if it has to be. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Thanks! You always seem to have the best and most informative answers whether it's in regards to a question that I've posted or someone else's. How did you come to know so much about raptors in general?

#6 ·
k5ride said:
Thanks! You always seem to have the best and most informative answers whether it's in regards to a question that I've posted or someone else's. How did you come to know so much about raptors in general?
Thank you, I've learned quite a bit from breaking and/or upgrading my own bike and the bikes of my friends and family. And since I don't get to ride as much as I'd like I've been around the online community for a while trying out the suggestions of other, more knowledgeable people. I have many, many people to thank for what information I have on these machines so I try to share what I can.

#7 ·
That's how I learned about trucks and what not. That and the fact that my dad has been a mechanic his whole life :lol:. I learned how to work on backhoes, trackhoes, bulldozers, trenchers, diesel trucks of all sizes (I hate ford's 6.0!) and how to operate most of the heavy equipment. I try to learn as much as I can about whatever I own so I can diagnose and fix whatever problems come my way. I am VERY into keeping up maintenance and not half-assing things, which is why I was wigging out about that piston. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to know all about my Raptor. The do's and don't, what to look out for be it good or bad, just make it last as long as I can. No matter how much you love working on your quad it's always more fun to be riding then fixing! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.