Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok was wondering something, (ive read many of these threads but was lost on something) ive read that u guys say to change the oil alot in the begining, well do u mean within the 10 hrs of riding b4 i bring it back to the shop, or after i get it back from them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i rode mine about 5 or6 hours then changed the oil and cleaned the air filter. ive never been to the dealer yet. mine is past the warrenty now. i check the air filter after every ride. ill take it in and get the valves checked when i can. but i dont ride mine very hard im 45. a few small jumps here and there. wide open throttle now and then. most dealers wont do very much more than youre going to do anyway..just my 2 cents

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RaptorGzz said:
In the Manual says 20 hrs?? why? :3question:
i was wondering about that too, everyone told me 10 hrs, but the booklet says 20 hrs :3question:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think many consider the price of oil and a filter to be cheap insurance (makes sense) but choose to stick with what Yamaha recommends.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, you can't exactly go by the manual all the time i.e. it's wrong about the oil change procedure.

Seriously, I guarantee you that if you sent your oil off to a lab for sampling they'd say it was super high in wear materials from the break in process. Will it kill your bike to keep it in there for 20hrs, no. Is it much better on your bike to drain out the break in oil and get fresh stuff in there sooner, absolutely. The first few oil change intervals I do are accelerated (change more often) then graduated up incrementally until the normal recommended interval.

This is a big motor with a tiny oil capacity, why skimp, it's only 2 quarts of oil.

My .02

·
Registered
78 Posts
I changed my initial-fill oil out today. Quad had about 1-1.5 hours on it. If I get time I will take some pictures of the oil filter.....in addition to the small metal particles you'd expect it to collect over the first oil change or two, it had a substantial amount of assembly lube/grease on it. There's no way I want to run my bike for 10 hours with the filter partially loaded with assembly lube and having a bunch of metal debris floating around in the oil/filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts