Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the big 3 and about to buy a stage 3 hotcam and either the tech piston or the 12:1 piston. I run 93 octane pump gas. Which do you guys recommend? Can you even run 93 with the 12:1?? If so what would be the power difference

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You might get a way with 12.1 with the hotcam 3 but its pushin it at sea level. I was in the same boat and went with the tech 11.5.1. It was worth the halfpoint to not worry. Both are great pistons though.
As far as peak power differences....i dont think you could tell. Maybe a horsepower.
If you look at dynos when people with 6 modders go from 9.2.1 to 11.1 there is only a couple hp difference at peak. Thats 2 points.....you are talkin about a half point diff with these.
Its a general rule that 11.5.1 is the limit on pump gas. There are exceptions to the rule though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
whiteraptor I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
DL 700 has a 10.5:1 CP custom piston that will run on pump gas, even if you decide to add a +5 stroker kit later.

If you are replacing a piston, there is a chance your rod small end will only last through 1 more piston depending on how hard you ride. Might be worth it to pick a piston that will work well with future mods.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you look at dynos when people with 6 modders go from 9.2.1 to 11.1 there is only a couple hp difference at peak.
The compression doesn't make the bike run better at the peak - it makes it run better everywhere else. Without the compression boost, the bike will be really soft and soggy off the bottom until it wakes up.

The compression increase makes the entire dyno curve is fatter from 3k to 6k and then you still see 1-2 hp over stock 6k to 7.5k, and it carries power much further out past 8k.

Peak to peak is minimal, but the area under the curve is HUGE.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The compression doesn't make the bike run better at the peak - it makes it run better everywhere else. Without the compression boost, the bike will be really soft and soggy off the bottom until it wakes up.

The compression increase makes the entire dyno curve is fatter from 3k to 6k and then you still see 1-2 hp over stock 6k to 7.5k, and it carries power much further out past 8k.

Peak to peak is minimal, but the area under the curve is HUGE.
Agreed. Thanks for adding on. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts