Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In comparison to bikes (2 wheelers), quad bikes seem to have a much more limited speed when it comes to top speed.

What I am wondering is, if a Raptor was custom built with the right setup for top speed (enough power, the correct gears, lowered/widened and other customisations for the road) what would be the main problems of travelling at speeds around the 120mph mark on a quad? Most dirt bikes are easily capable of them speeds with the same size engine as a high end quad such as the Raptor but I've never really heard of people going above 100mph on quads.

Obviously it must be something to do with the physics, perhaps quads just aren't as stable at those speeds to the point that it's highly dangerous but I'd like to know more.

Thanks. 8)

·
734RStreetScraper
358 Posts
In comparison to bikes (2 wheelers), quad bikes seem to have a much more limited speed when it comes to top speed.

What I am wondering is, if a Raptor was custom built with the right setup for top speed (enough power, the correct gears, lowered/widened and other customisations for the road) what would be the main problems of travelling at speeds around the 120mph mark on a quad? Most dirt bikes are easily capable of them speeds with the same size engine as a high end quad such as the Raptor but I've never really heard of people going above 100mph on quads.

Obviously it must be something to do with the physics, perhaps quads just aren't as stable at those speeds to the point that it's highly dangerous but I'd like to know more.

Thanks. 8)
mine does around 100mph tops and is perfectly stable, just takes alot of tweaking
on the arms like camber/caster and such.
also the 1cil. dont like to rev that high for long periods of time.
i do know a few people with R1/gsxr1000 quads who exceed the 120mph mark. also without any problems except for popeye arms

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
so you want to reach 120mph or do you want to keep it there for a period of time? what roaddo you ride on that has a speed limit of 120 mph? first off there is a speed limiter in the bike that won't allow you to go over a certain speed... I believe it is a baby blue wire on the 700 that you need to ground but I'm more of a 660 guy....

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
It also has to do with tire size I believe. Aftermarket CDI's remove speed limiters as well.

·
734RStreetScraper
358 Posts
so you want to reach 120mph or do you want to keep it there for a period of time? what roaddo you ride on that has a speed limit of 120 mph? first off there is a speed limiter in the bike that won't allow you to go over a certain speed... I believe it is a baby blue wire on the 700 that you need to ground but I'm more of a 660 guy....
you won't reach 120mph unless you have a gixxer, R1 or supertuned/nos/turbo/bigbore bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm interested in finding out how far you can really push a quad bike without it being too dangerous. So say for example you put a Yamaha R1 engine into a Raptor and perfected the setup (gearing/suspension etc) how fast could you physically go on a Raptor without it being too dangerous?

I think the fastest I have seen a quad bike go on youtube was close to 110mph and it was a Banshee.

Edit: Hey tjobbie, you could be a great example. :D Imagine your quad had bhp in the hundreds and was easily capable of speeds in excess of 150mph, at what speed would the bike become too unstable or the drag (air resistance) becomes too much that it would be stupid to carry on accelerating? As obviously quad bikes aren't really designed for such high speeds.

·
734RStreetScraper
358 Posts
Edit: Hey tjobbie, you could be a great example. :D Imagine your quad had bhp in the hundreds and was easily capable of speeds in excess of 150mph, at what speed would the bike become too unstable or the drag (air resistance) becomes too much that it would be stupid to carry on accelerating? As obviously quad bikes aren't really designed for such high speeds.
i don't know cause mine doesn,t go that fast!:p
ask those badass artic cat drag banshees, they fly!

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
The fastest one I know of (Confirmed) on this forum is Ant, he lives down in the Miami area. His was clocked @ 108 in trail trim!:wow:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Well there was this one guy that did like 200 or 204mph on a raptor 700 but it had a rocket strapped to it so he's in the record books. Anyway if you have the wallet to do it you can do it :D

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I am at 94mph down a very sandy power line road with my 770, 15-36 gear and 20'' tires
That is as fast as I need to go! The quad was working very hard like 9250rpm, I think that on the road it would do much better. My quad is just a trail set up... with 75hp

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
I am at 94mph down a very sandy power line road with my 770, 15-36 gear and 20'' tires
That is as fast as I need to go! The quad was working very hard like 9250rpm, I think that on the road it would do much better. My quad is just a trail set up... with 75hp
Damn son! I'd like to see your Raptor in action. Seems like a straight beast!

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts