Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 13 tooth for my quad a while ago, it seemed to help with climing dunes and such, I can hit 5th gear no problem now. before I had a hard time using 5th. I've been seeing that some guys are going with 15 tooth? I would definatly be able to use 1st more often but what about 5th? are they going bigger in the rear also? what kinds of ratio's do you use and how's it work for you?

·
Registered
511 Posts
if you go up to a 15 you will probably loose 5th all together maybe even 4th depending on the slope of the hill. never use 1st in a race. 1st is to start rolling anyway so i never use it to drive but to start.

Capt

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I went with a 15 tooth but I ride trails not dunes. I like the 15 tooth because it makes 1st usuable and still bogs down in 2nd good. It also cuts down on wheel spin in first and second so made a nice difference racing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would think that with mods and a 15t you might be able to use 5th, but 4th should still be very useasble. These are just my assumptions, but with mods giving about a 20 percent increase in HP/TQ 5th should still be good.

I'm waiting till the beginning of next season to do mods, already got a 15t so I might try it next time out and see what it does on a stock quad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run a 13 front and a 39 rear and love it. I will race anyone on a track, but I'll get my ass kicked on trails.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
After my first dune trip I'm considering a 13T for duning. I spent almost the whole time in 2nd getting up into 3rd only briefly then right back to 2nd. If I could get more use out of 3rd I'm sure it would help immensely. Of course I could just grow a pair and carry that much more speed approaching the hills :lol:.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Shawnz said:
Of course I could just grow a pair and carry that much more speed approaching the hills :lol:.
Thats what I was thinking, your going to slow :grin_nod:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree that picking up a pair will help quite a bit. We ride dunes only and I run third topped out most of the time and I have a 15t up front.
It is hard to get used to hitting everything with speed but speed is your best friend in the sand. Honestly I would recommend going with the 15 tooth if you are riding dunes, it gives you 1 and 2nd for putting but you have 3rd longer which can really help. I can pull anything in 3rd and hit 4th on most. Keep the hammer down and use momentum!! Just dont launch off the back side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 15t and found I was bogging down to much when shooting hills at glamis. I went to the 13 and am alot happier. I now pull 4th gear up china wall, and I can dune all day in 3rd. I start in 2nd gear but I also did with the 14t. Its all about riding style.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I purchased a 15t before I bought 22" rear tires I now still have the 15t in the tool cabinet because the new tire size works for me.I also mostly trail ride in N.Y. and PA.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ive just brought a 15t sprocket but i ride trails and flat out tracks so i was looking for some more top end power plus i ride on pea gravel which is extremely slippery and its hard to get traction in low gears so hopefully it will move my torque curve up a little which by rights should make it easier for me to hook up at low speeds . Also just brought the 3 mods waiting for them to arrive so i cant wait to get it all happening . ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shawnz said:
After my first dune trip I'm considering a 13T for duning. I spent almost the whole time in 2nd getting up into 3rd only briefly then right back to 2nd. If I could get more use out of 3rd I'm sure it would help immensely. Of course I could just grow a pair and carry that much more speed approaching the hills :lol:.
First of all, I go 6'4" 260 lbs. My Rappy pulls China Wall no problem in 3rd gear - most of my duneing is done in 3rd also - most of the time with the front wheels off the ground.
Throttle, its your friend!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts