Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my friend has a 13 t and i have a 14t,and he smokes me by atleast 3.i never catch up to him untill im maxed....i just got my pcIII so idk if its just the map im running thats holding me down, or its just the difference in sprocket's? i thought the 13 t would kill his topend but it hasent affected him that much.....also if i put the 15t on mine would it kill me even more then now,or would i catch him faster???? :3question:

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
If you put on a 15t its going to take even longer for you to catch up. But when you do you will fly by him no problem.

I really like the 13t on the raptor. Makes the power feel more like a yfz to me. It does really shorten the gears though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im just gonna get the 13T and the 15T..but i just wonder about the map im running...my spark plug is just a lil white on the tip...

·
Registered
468 Posts
We are talking about 700's right? I would not advocate a 13t on a 700 anytime. My almost stock bike (three mods) is faster with the 15t than 14t in most conditions. The conditions being moisture level in the sand. When the sand is nice dry and loose I can come out in second with no ill effects but if it is tightly packed and/or wet I will come out in first. The only time I have heard guys using 13t on the 700 was for some serious woods racing where they stay in the low gears all the time and even then I would really want to test it for myself. 13t on a 700? I can't even fathom.

Craig,

·
Registered
468 Posts
I see that you are talking about 700's. Without knowing you or your riding I would have to go with rider skill here but trying different sprockets is cheap and easy. Try them for yourself. As you stated earlier too your map might be off.

Craig,

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would have to disagree with that...for big guys who ride sand, the 13 tooth helps a lot. On a highly modded bike, I would definately go with the stock 14 tooth or preferably an aftermarket 15 tooth for sure, but on a stock bike in the sand the 13 tooth really helps you off the line as well as hill climbing steep stuff. You will loose on the top end and it will shorten your gears, but for riders that are >= 250 pounds and ride big dunes, its a great mod. I started out with the stock 14 tooth and I weigh about 270 and switched to the 13 tooth and have really noticed a difference. Much better fit for the type of riding that I do (Little Sahara Utah). Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
a 13T sounds kinda stoopid to put on a raptor, especially with the Big 3 Mods. I have a 15t on my raptor and it has the Big 3 with over 52rwhp and it still gets little to no traction in the the first few gears... I am thinking about switching back to the 14t and putting some 22" MX tires on the rear, hopefully it will start gripping!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I personally run 22's on both of my Raptors one with a 14t and the other with the 15t. I have to agree with Machy. 1st is too low for anything witha 14t in sand. With the 15 it made it usable again and third runs stronger than it did before. On dirt I can see it but I would love to see anybody use 1st gear with a 13t on sand. Are you saying you can climb in 1st gear? I am assuming you are saying that you can climb better in 3rd gear with a 13t. I can see that as you pretty much moved 1st gear too low for anything and you have almost invalidated 2nd gear. Tell you what. Bring your 13t on over and lets see how it fares in a drag race against a 15t and then a 14t. All things being equal I will win everytime. Anybody?

Craig,

·
Registered
468 Posts
Oh and before somebody gets their feelings hurt it's just all in good fun. Counter sprockets are cheap. Try it for yourself and if YOU like it go for it. I can just relate MY experience....uh but I still want to run against a 13t to prove a point.

Craig,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dude, I'm not at all bent out of shape about this, stick with what you like and with what works for you. I think this whole topic boils down to how much you weigh. If you are 200 pounds, strap on a 50 or 75 pound backpack and run some serious dunes and then let me know what you think. Big difference. With the 13 tooth 1st gear is pretty much worthless. I'm not arguing that at all. The real benefit is being able to hold the power band in 3rd climbing up sand mountain. I used to always have to drop down into 2nd gear towards the top. With the 13 tooth I can hold 3rd and stay in the power band the entire way up. HUGE difference. The obvious solution for the bigger guys is to start modding your machine but if $$ is an issue than the 13 tooth is the tits and cost under $20.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yep I agree, do what works for you. I am 240 by the way...all muscle. OK not ALL muscle but you get the idea. What mods did you have that when you were having to change down to 2nd gear climbing big hills. I run out of rpm before I run out of power. 3rd pulls like a freight train with the 15t.

Craig,

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run 22" Razr IIs with a 13T sprocket but I'm 100% stock engine performance wise now... I only have about 6 hours of ride time with this setup but I think I prefer this gearing for trail riding over the 14T with 22" rears. Call me crazy or just plain stupid but it works for me.

I've also had the big 3 mods with 21" ITP GNCC rears and a 15T and wasn't 100% thrilled with it either... for trail riding anyway. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
234 Posts
what would be the best gearing for a 300 ft grass drag after the 3 mods? 14t or 15t?

·
Registered
43 Posts
NVMYRC said:
We are talking about 700's right? I would not advocate a 13t on a 700 anytime. My almost stock bike (three mods) is faster with the 15t than 14t in most conditions. The conditions being moisture level in the sand. When the sand is nice dry and loose I can come out in second with no ill effects but if it is tightly packed and/or wet I will come out in first. The only time I have heard guys using 13t on the 700 was for some serious woods racing where they stay in the low gears all the time and even then I would really want to test it for myself. 13t on a 700? I can't even fathom.

Craig,
I agree with you Craig. When I purcharsed my new 15th I felt that it was stronger, but lacking the good ability on the trails it's still good on the trails just not as good when you have alot of difficult rocks, but if your going to race I recomend 15th. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
733 Posts
NVMYRC said:

Craig,
Bring it over and we'll try it out ... better order a clutch, you'll need it when you get home ... if not, then you should be runnin' the GNCC's. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just got my 15T lastnight and ima gonna go and test it out later today... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am really curious. I put a 13t on when I first bought the quad (before I found this board). Well, I have the 3 mods and now a 15t. But a few weekends ago, I was racing up Sand Mountain in Little Sahara UT - Me, Suzuki 450, another 700. I go up the hill in 2nd (slows down in 3rd). The 450 beats me by a few bike lengths, the other 700 was beating him by a few lengths. We talked to him, and he said bolt ons and 13t. He was going up the hill in 3rd.

So, by my experience the 700 with 13t was better.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts