Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played with gearing yesterday on my 700 Raptor. I tried the 13 tooth and 15 tooth sprockets. So, first off, this was done at Sand Mountain Nevada which is at about 4000’ base elevation on a 70 degree day with some moisture in the sand. I’m a big guy (275) and my quad has a full HMF exhaust, Dynojet PCIII, Pro Design K&N filter and Iridium plug and 20” sand stars.

Keep in mind this opinion is based on hill shooting on sand and not flat drag racing. Depending upon the angle of the hill and the rider weight I think would make a big difference in your gear choice. I raced my friend on his YFZ450 for a base line and this is my opinion of the gear changes.

13 tooth: Going from the 14 to the 13 I thought it might tighten up the gearing a little making the upper gears more usable. On the hill climb I still couldn’t use 4th gear so I lost a little speed on top due to the lower gearing. I think a 13 tooth running up banshee hill in Dumont dunes would be the bomb, but it wasn’t for in this test. A small benefit of running the smaller gear was it technically mad your wheelbase a tad bit longer.

15 tooth: Going from the 13 to the 15 was a huge jump. I immediately felt the difference. First gear was awesome and made it easy to pull wheelies. With second gear starts while drag racing it took a little longer to get it to wind up and the whole shot was awesome like usual but once you got into third it sucked. It was geared too tall for the conditions.

Conclusion: For me and where I typically ride. I’m going to go back to the stock 14 tooth. I feel it is a good compromise. I will keep the gears in my box for when I go somewhere else that may benefit from the gearing change.

·
Registered
93 Posts
just a suggestion, i am 6'5" 255 and i run the 15/36 gears, it has monster pull in 3rd and 4th but i have the high comp piston and stage II cam. before the piston and cam 3rd & 4th were dead. Last weekend i went to glamis and pulled china wall in 4th all the way up. I know the last time i was there i was running without the cam and piston and stock gearing, i started the same hill in 3rd and had to shift down to 2cd. I truelly think big guys need more bottom end touque, you might want to consider the mod all the research said your realiability stays very high. just a thought. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am 265 and with the 15t & 22's it was not good. I went back to the 14t and In SM I can use 3rd now with the intake and PCIII, but still prefer 2nd and hold it about 6-7k or second and run right next to a 450 with equal mods and about 150lbs less total weight.

Now,....take my bike and throw a very good rider 80 lbs lighter on it and it smokes the equal modded 450s. It is also neck and neck with a camed (hot cam), head, intake, full exhaust (the works) 450r and very experienced rider. The 15t it was slower in all scenarios.

Once the exhaust is on I may try it again,...but for now the 14t is the ticket for this 250+ lbs rider and 22's

·
Registered
287 Posts
Im no math wiz, but I thought I read in another post that running the 15T with 20's is the same or just about the same as running the 14T and 22's.
that would make the 15T and 22's a little on the high end. right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good post. Thanks for the info as I was considering the 15t. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ctsraptor said:
How was it riding with the 14T sprocket and did you beat the 450?
His 450 has a pipe and intake and I didn’t beat him on the hill with any of the gearing. I would pull him every time off the line, then he would pass me part way up the hill then I would start gaining on him again but not win. I know I'm giving up over a 100 pounds total to him and I think my tires are killing me. I can spank him on flat ground. 14t w/ 22’s = 15t w/ 20’s.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LHCRAPPY said:
just a suggestion, i am 6'5" 255 and i run the 15/36 gears, it has monster pull in 3rd and 4th but i have the high comp piston and stage II cam. before the piston and cam 3rd & 4th were dead. Last weekend i went to glamis and pulled china wall in 4th all the way up. I know the last time i was there i was running without the cam and piston and stock gearing, i started the same hill in 3rd and had to shift down to 2cd. I truelly think big guys need more bottom end touque, you might want to consider the mod all the research said your realiability stays very high. just a thought. :thumbsup:
What brand piston and cam are you running and how much was it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i am running a je 11:1 comp piston and a web cam stageII. to have someone that knows what there doing do it, its about 1150. CT racing has a piston cam port polish and dyno package that is 1200 dollars. they clame 63 hp out of that kit. the main thing is don't let just any one do this mod, pay the money to have someone that has done it alot. i learned the hard way. this mod does make a huuuuuuge diff in hill climbing and flat out power...

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
CAROLINA_700R said:
275 is alot of weight for a raptor :eek:

so what quad would be good for us "plus size riders"..
i would like a gusset kit, is that what it's called??
oooor are you just saying fat guys shouldn't ride?? :mad: j/k

·
Registered
210 Posts
"plus size riders"..

That sounds gay, :lol: I'm just fat (200lbs. 5'8 8) not Plus Size.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
yeah it sure did...
hahaha :fruity: :fruity:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not fat; ::)

I just look that way
I'm big boned
I'm pleasantly plump
I'm husky
I'm super sized
I'm an American

OK, I'm fat! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Me either, I am just a XXL and know how to make a woman feel safe!

But I can loose 20-30lbs and still do the same!
:lol:

Besides anyone have any idea how much I have invested into my figure. It is hard to just throw it away.

Hell I even bought a shirt that says "I beat anorexia" ...you should see the looks I get. Mostly from OBEASE women! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
dude that's funny as hell, i want that shirt,
i work in a big mortgage company and the new fad is "gastric bypass'. or stomach stapling,... everyone is doing it at my company, but the funny thing is , these are the same people i see eating hamburgers for lunch,and then take 3 weeks off to get their stomachs stapled, i switched my diet and lost 40 lbs in 3 months just by eating healthy, i didn't even work out, and then i got off my diet,and now i gained it back!!..maybe these people should stop wasting $ on stomach stapling and i'll just staple their mouths shut for way cheaper!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have been in VERY good shape before when in my early 20's now in my early 30's I know what it takes and am right on the edge of doing it again. Eating healthy or in moderation is the key, it is also a lifestyle. The lazy asses that want to be skinny and look to the "Quick Fix" instead of learning disiplin are in for a rude awakening when they have bounced back and destroyed their health with the new fad fixes.

You will see some major issues with that in 3-5 years from now (IMO)

There are no effortless quick fixes for being healthy that will not cause other issues. Just healthy eating, moderation and activity.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok Fellas. I hate to be the forum (want to be) monitor, ;) but this is a RAPTOR FORUM not the Jenny Craig Forum. :lol: :help:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts