Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going be doing some "Friendly" sand drags this weekend with my 3-mod(LTE's, PCIII, GYTR) Raptor this weekend. What's a better gearing and tire selection? My choices are a 14 or 15 tooth front sprocket and 22" Hauler's with 7, 8, or 10 paddles on 8" diameter wheels(the 10's are 21" Extremes). Any opinions?

·
Registered
562 Posts
15 tooth i weigh 250 and not 1 person beat me at the drags pres day at gordens well/ i raced about 20 times / if you use 22 paddles u can get away with 8 paddles/ if u use 20 inch / use 7 paddles

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dannyray said:
if you use 22 paddles u can get away with 8 paddles/ if u use 20 inch / use 7 paddles
Got that backwards don't ya?

7 for 22's

and

8 for 20's

·
Registered
497 Posts
With 22" tires, stick with the 14t. If you go with 20" tires go with the 15t. One of the guys in our group has 22" Sand Stars and I have 20"s. All mods are real close on both bikes. We were pretty even when he had a 14t, this last trip he tried the 15t and I spanked his ass without mercy. I'm not an engineer so I can't explain why it was such a difference, i'm just speaking from experience. 5 back to back runs don't lie. Maybe it's because I'm better looking than him............

·
Registered
783 Posts
headingnorth said:
With 22" tires, stick with the 14t. If you go with 20" tires go with the 15t. One of the guys in our group has 22" Sand Stars and I have 20"s. All mods are real close on both bikes. We were pretty even when he had a 14t, this last trip he tried the 15t and I spanked his ass without mercy. I'm not an engineer so I can't explain why it was such a difference, i'm just speaking from experience. 5 back to back runs don't lie. Maybe it's because I'm better looking than him............
easy...sand robs POWER!!!

I run the 15T in the dunes but my bike built alot more then the 3 mods (62hp) and I run 20" haulers. Even with the extra hp, I just purchased a 37 and a 39 rear sprocket to try and gear down just a little bit in order to pull 4th gear up a compy hill.... Now I will have a 37/38/39 rear and a 14 /15 front gives me lots of combos to try out... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
POUNDSAND said:
headingnorth said:

I run the 15T in the dunes but my bike built alot more then the 3 mods (62hp) and I run 20" haulers. Even with the extra hp, I just purchased a 37 and a 39 rear sprocket to try and gear down just a little bit in order to pull 4th gear up a compy hill.... Now I will have a 37/38/39 rear and a 14 /15 front gives me lots of combos to try out... :thumbsup:
For us 3 mod guys, my guess is the 15t with 20" tires just puts the power down better than any other combo. His original of 22"s with the 14 probably equals 15t with 20"s pretty close. I still think good looks play a part in it.......
With 62hp, I don't think the gearing matters even a little. You have enough poop to overcome the wrong gears and still beat me to the top. Now, my good looks with your 62 hp; I could rule the world.

·
Registered
783 Posts
on the flats (with less sand) I am sure the 15T would be fine buts on the hills when racing where I dont think the 15T will shine vs the 14t for the 3 mods. I am talking the steeper runs like some @ Dumont or Sand Mt NV....

·
Registered
497 Posts
are you talking about 20" or 22" tires?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I run 20x10x10 8 paddle haulers..... Some of the sand is soft and sand absolutley kills your power. But he is talking flats and most of the flats that I ve ran are a sand / gravel mix that is more "hard packed" then a sand dune... Pismo is the only exception that I have ran... I plan on trying multiple combos on my next dune trip. But again I want 4th gear top end speed up the steep stuff.

3rd gear shouldnt be a problem with either the 14 or 15 front sprocket. The real seperation occurs when you can pull 4th on someone up a long steep dune. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
RAPTORAZ said:
I'm going be doing some "Friendly" sand drags this weekend with my 3-mod(LTE's, PCIII, GYTR) Raptor this weekend. What's a better gearing and tire selection? My choices are a 14 or 15 tooth front sprocket and 22" Hauler's with 7, 8, or 10 paddles on 8" diameter wheels(the 10's are 21" Extremes). Any opinions?

I would go 15 with 20'' tires and the 14 with 22'' tires. I pulled 22'' x 11 x 8 8 paddle haulers no problem with my 700R when it was just a 3 mod stocker. I personally prefer the 22'' haulers over the 20''
If your running my LTE custom map, it works very well both on the flats and up the hills with the 22'' 8 paddle haulers and a 14 tooth front sprocket and a 38 on the rear. It will pull a 15 but makes 4th a little weak IMO. Bear in mind I had a +4'' swinger with that combination (still do for the time being)

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Great Info on tire sizes, here is what I am going through:

The 15 tooth with my 20" sand star V paddles is a good combo. BUT after my recent motor build and more HP, I want to cut down on tire spin. I tried 22" 10 paddle haulers but the gearing was too tall. I settled on a new set of 21x12x8 8 paddle haulers and waiting on delivery--has anyone tried these tires with a 15T ??

·
Registered
497 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Great Info on tire sizes, here is what I am going through:

The 15 tooth with my 20" sand star V paddles is a good combo. BUT after my recent motor build and more HP, I want to cut down on tire spin. I tried 22" 10 paddle haulers but the gearing was too tall. I settled on a new set of 21x12x8 8 paddle haulers and waiting on delivery--has anyone tried these tires with a 15T ??
That sounds like a nice build. I tried the hauler in a 20" with the 3 mods I have and wow do they hook. Anyone who is interested in getting to the top of the hill in the shortest amount of time, go with the hauler.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
headingnorth said:
POUNDSAND said:
headingnorth said:

For us 3 mod guys, my guess is the 15t with 20" tires just puts the power down better than any other combo. His original of 22"s with the 14 probably equals 15t with 20"s pretty close. I still think good looks play a part in it.......
With 62hp, I don't think the gearing matters even a little. You have enough poop to overcome the wrong gears and still beat me to the top. Now, my good looks with your 62 hp; I could rule the world.
HUmm you must look pretty damnnnn good. LOL send some pics if ya have some :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decided to go with the 14 tooth. And start out running my 21x12x8 10 paddle Extreme's. I'm gonna bring along my 22x11x8 8 paddle and my 22x11x8 7 paddle Haulers with me as well. Figured I just start big and step down as necessary. I'll let everyone know how it goes after tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
RAPTORAZ said:
Decided to go with the 14 tooth. And start out running my 21x12x8 10 paddle Extreme's. I'm gonna bring along my 22x11x8 8 paddle and my 22x11x8 7 paddle Haulers with me as well. Figured I just start big and step down as necessary. I'll let everyone know how it goes after tomorrow.
YES !! I am very interested in your results, Please let us know :thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I have the results. Unfortunately I think they are skewed due to the fact that the sand was damp, clumpy, and choppy. All runs were made using the stock 14 tooth front sprocket. I started out running the 21x11x8 10 paddle Extremes, and then stepped down from there. The best passes ended up being on the stock knobbies. The sand was just too packed for paddles. In retrospect, I wish I had brought along the 15 tooth. As I feel it would've pulled harder off the line with the additional wheel speed. Oh well, another day perhaps.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I know what you mean about wet sand, I had the same problem a couple weekends ago, traction was too good and NO tire spin, I should have had slicks on that day.. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts