Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just wanted to pass along my experience, as it was really really good! Thanks to Jamie Mace, I tried out the 15 tooth front sprocket on my 700 with the mods below. WOW what a difference. Before I would spin 1st-3rd and not really feel much pull. then I would hit 4th and 5th and it would pull like a freight train. I knew it was a lot faster than stock, but wasnt pleased with what was happening in the lower gears as it was spinning all the extra power away.....even with my ITP holeshot XCR's!
NOW the thing pulls like a freight train everywhere. I cant believe how fast it is. Its "stupid fast"! With stock gearing I was able to hit the rev limiter in 5th at WOT on a slight down hill grade, meaning I hit full gearing potential at 95mph! Now its even faster! my 4th gear feels almost as fast as my "old" 5th gear! Gearing potential is up to 101.84mph, but I doubt i will have the power to pull that, as like i said, it took a slight downhill to hit 95mph before. In a drag race it helps out A LOT, as the power is getting to the ground. Topspeed is nuts. Wheelies are insane. I can wheelie 1st-4th with out a problem. I ride 3rd gear till the rev limit, and ride 4th gear wheelies standing up at probably 80+mph! Its insane.
Do yourself a favor and dont gear down to a 13 tooth or anything like that. All it does is spin your power away, or wheelie all the time. that and your always shifting. If you mess with your gearing go up. The easiest change is the 15 tooth. Bolts up in 5 minutes. You'll need a 36mm socket though, and most likely a impact wrench. Then you'll have to adjust your chain (which by the way is extremely easy now too with the new cam design swinger)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its extremely important to use the power the quad produces in the low-mid range. By gearing it up it stays in this range longer. It pulls gears twice as long. Doesnt feel like you have to short shift all the time.

oh....by the way.....unplug your speed limiter if you want to achieve those speeds I am talking about. Makes a bige difference in 5th!

·
Registered
206 Posts
135boom said:
Its extremely important to use the power the quad produces in the low-mid range. By gearing it up it stays in this range longer. It pulls gears twice as long. Doesnt feel like you have to shirt shift all the time.

oh....by the way.....unplug your speed limiter if you want to achieve those speeds I am talking about. Makes a bige difference in 5th!
I agree - i felt my bike pulled better with 15/36 than stock gearing ..the engine wants some load to work against..my next step is to put my 16 front sprocket on and see what happens...
If comparing gearing 700 vs 660 the 700r is lower geared especially in 1st-3rd than old 660 .. if you put a 2 tooth bigger front sprocket on your 700 then you have about the same total gearing as the old 660 in 1st-3rd ..
http://www.jandjcreativedesign.com/sprocket.php

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I got my 15 from Rocky Mountain ATV for 6.95 With the 15 tooth front I don't need to unhook my speed sensor, it just flat hauls ass the way it is :thumbsup: 2nd gear launches with 22 x 11 x 8 8 paddle Haulers and the + 4'' swingarm are a gas, it wheelies like it did with the stock swinger 8)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey Boom i see you really liked the 15 tooth sprocket. :thumbsup: I figured you would because i love it. I also see everyone else here likes the sprocket as well. Glad you made this topic i was wondering what other people thought of the 15.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I have had the 15 since the day it became ava at Rocky Mountain. I have a 13 as well that will never get used.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raptor700Ryder said:
Hey Boom i see you really liked the 15 tooth sprocket. :thumbsup: I figured you would because i love it. I also see everyone else here likes the sprocket as well. Glad you made this topic i was wondering what other people thought of the 15.

Hey man, I was hoping you would see this thread. Thank you very much for pointing me in this direction! the quad is an absolute rocket! I can not believe how fast it is. You know how I was saying that my 700 still didnt "feel" as fast as my previous modded yfz, but in reality I could kick its a$$ in drag races......welllllll, thats right out the window. The 700 actually "feels" faster now, and I cant wait to line up against my buddy with a modded yfz. Previously when we raced I was walking. We raced second gear starts, and were equal for about 15 feet....as soon as I hit 3rd (1st shift) it was all over. NOW with the power actually hitting the ground in the lower gears I am anticipating a real butt whoopin.

I am soooo excited.....makes me wonder if I should mess with the gearing some more. I dont want it too tall......but.....

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
nmotion700 said:
so this will take away bottom end but makes feel like it pulls more :3question:
Once modded these things have enough bottom end that you don't really feel any loss with a 15 they just flat pull hard from start to finish 8)

·
Registered
331 Posts
135boom,
you can get the front end up in 4th gear and ride a wheelie at 80mph?
Dude thats insane! i dont even hit 80mph till i get into 5th gear and by that time it just head down on the tank, i cant immagine being i n a wheelie at that speed.
i dont think my front end will even come up once i get over like 35mph.
is something wrong with my bike?
I allways felt like it was kind of rich, maby ill lean it a little and see if i can get the front up at speed.
The 15 tooth is awsome. 1-3rd pull way longer, much less shifting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Rappinitup you should be able to just hit the gas in 3rd gear and it should jump right with ya. Your Welcome Boom i always like helping people out when i can. I've noticed me and you have alot in common when it comes to our quads. We both had fast YFZs now we have 700s.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Ok you talked me into it Im going to order one lol

I know what you mean and see your point Ill give you a example.

When my quad was still stock I could beat my buddies modded 450 off the line and he would then catch me and pass me about half way through. I could occasionally hold him off if got a real good jump but he beat me more often than not. Now that mine is modded he actually gets me off the line then I pass him when I hit 3rd then pull away when hit 4th. I contributed the start to wheel spin. He had more than me when mine was stock is why I got the jump but now I am getting more wheel spin than him so he is getting the jump. :thumbsup:

I was going to wait till after I got new tires to see if wanted to make a gearing change but going to give it a shot now. :)

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
1st gear is almost useless to me anymore with the seat time I have on mine and I still like my stock gearing to a point. I will get a 15 when I get mine back together especially since I may run 18s but even if I go back to 20s it will have the 15. I totally agree about the engine wanting load against it, anyone thats ever pinned their 700 going up a slight grade with lots of traction knows it doesnt know when to quit sometimes- when your tryin to get the front end up at low rpms just keep er pinned, its got spin or go to the sky 8). I can hit most of my jumps at the house almost at idle speed in second with just a blip of the throttle at the base of the slope and go 20+ feet. See sig pic(thats what Im doin).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ive been wanting to do the 15 sprocket for some time now, but never did. 1st gear is ok for driving the quad into my toybox, but thats about it. Now that im boosting, its a joke.

·
Registered
494 Posts
135 where is the speed sensor located?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was going to gear down but with all your guys comments making so much sense i just might have to try out the 15. Do you have to get a new chain i have only had my bike for a couple hours of riding so i dont think chain to sprocket wear will be a concern
Glamis700- that sensor is located on the tranny right by the front sprocket. Just follow it up about 6 inches and you will find the connector

·
Registered
841 Posts
What disconnecting the sensor have to do with ur top speed or anything at all for that matter, just curious

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sick pic man i got a f4i fightered and caged. Anyways do a search for speed limiter and read up on some threads. I guess in 5th gear at like 6500 rpms the computer uses that sensor to find out your going to fast and it makes you hit like a fake rev limiter basically

·
Registered
368 Posts
StuntPunkJames said:
What disconnecting the sensor have to do with ur top speed or anything at all for that matter, just curious
Search for speed sensor.. theres now a new pic posted up finally. :)

1 - 20 of 406 Posts