Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Im pretty sure the map is installed correctly because when i connect the laptop to it and pull the map from the pcIII, it Is the map that randy sent me. I may not be at sea level, as i do live right near chicago, IL.. 20 minutes actually.. Im almost positive its something with that damn pcIII.. i was almost tempted to get rid of it and get a dobeck. I cant figure it out. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Hey Randy, I wasnt saying your map was bad......did you ever wonder if he isnt running it perhaps? Maybe he didnt load it....or it didnt load right. Maybe he is still running the stock map or something. Something is definately not right, and that is the first thing I would be looking at. Cant really intall an intake wrong......cant install the exhausts wrong.....but you can certainly install the maps and or PCIII wrong.
I know your map is just fine......I also know that your bike is faster than crap. you guys have identical mods and his is running bad. All the rest of the stuff is simple boltons.....not mcuh can be wrong. there can be a whole lot wrong on the PCIII.
I bet your map is not on his bike! OR, you have yours set up for sealevel....and he is at 5,000ft.
I went thru all that with him in great detail I even re sent him the map after I went out to my quad and saved it right off the PCIII just to make sure I hadn't sent him the wrong map by accident. He says it runs ok but that it has white smoke coming out of the exhaust I then said that he needs to check it for leakdown or do a compression check to rule out any Mech problem and to also make sure that the valves are properly adjusted. Most don't need adjustment but I have seen a couple with hrs on em that were holding the valve of the seat ever so slightly (tight lash) so it can happen. I also had him check to see that the PCIII was in fact operating and he says it is, he still hasn't told me if he zeroed the throttle as I told him to read up on it and try that. So yes I thought of all the things you mentioned plus a few more.

It's pretty tough to diagnose problems long distance, if I were independantly wealthy I'd fly out to his place and figure it out for him.

I think it's time he takes it and has a mech check it out to make sure it doesn't have a leaking head gasket and that it's mechanically sound. If it checks out then he needs to take it to someone with a Dyno jet dyno who's up on PCIII's and have them see whats amiss.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I totally agree! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
......you know, I never reset anything on my quad when I did all my install's.....wonder if I should? My quad runs great....but who knows?
Any idea if you do need to pull the batt wires and reset everything?

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
135boom said:
......you know, I never reset anything on my quad when I did all my install's.....wonder if I should? My quad runs great....but who knows?
Any idea if you do need to pull the batt wires and reset everything?

It sure can't hurt anything. I did it just out of habit. I was going to suggest that to GcSChi22 as something to try as well. I have seen others, like you who didn't and they had no problems so it's more than likey not essential.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah....might do it anyway to be sure! I dont think it has to "re-learn" or anything does it, or if it does it shouldnt take any time.
Better not, as mine is running damn fine right now!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
135boom said:
Yeah....might do it anyway to be sure! I dont think it has to "re-learn" or anything does it, or if it does it shouldnt take any time.
Better not, as mine is running damn fine right now!

If it aint broke, don't fix it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Guys for all of your help.. im taking it in tomorrow to get the valves adjusted/ oil change all that good stuff for the warranty.. im gonna tell them my problem also and see if they can figure it out.. They are licensed dyno jet tuner so im thinking they might have a dyno there.. the only thing is.. since i used a butt connector on that TPS hopefully it doesnt void the warranty. Im thinking maybe i have a bad PCIII or something.. my exhaust isnt leaking, and neither is my intake.. I also contacted rocket factory on this problem to see if its happened and Jason told me that the PCIII's are known to fail once in awhile on bikes and cause them to lose power. He said its either an extreme leak in the exhaust, a super restrictive air filter, or a bad pcIII. After i get the bike back from the dealer.. if theres still a problem.. im gonna send the pcIII back, and get a new one. ( id get a dobeck but i heard a pcIII is much better if your planning for future engine mods). But Ill let you guys know how it goes, hopefully i get this problem solved so i can let the others who have the same problem know whats wrong. Again, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
also what do you meen by reset everything? unplugging the positive on the battery or?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah unplud the + side for about a minute and then hook it back up. I know on my 94 supra it pulled timing like crazy and the only way to get it back to stock timing curve was to reset the computer by unhooking the battery. So it might work for you man

·
Registered
105 Posts
Okay guys, I got two questions:
1. How do you turn the nut without the whole shaft turning?? I had to swap out clutch perches a while back and don't have a parking brake anymore.

2. I'm running 22" Razr 2's. Will a 15 tooth be gearing it too tall? When I got the 22's, I dropped down to a 13 tooth. (of course I had a parking brake back then)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
well, its a royal pain in the butt to do it without a impact wrench. takes about 5 minutes total with one. thats with adjusting the chain and everything!
With 22's, I would go wtih stock gearing. you can use this gearing guide/calculator for help:

http://jandjcreativedesign.com/sprocket.php

with those 22's your actually geared taller than I am with a 15/38 combo and 20's. I would definately go back to stock gearing with your 22's....you'll be geared a tad high, but thats ok as long as you have the 3 mods.

your not going to have quit the same results I did, cause your tires are heavier but it should be close!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Haveing motor bored and stroked. Thinking about running a
15/36 sprokets. What size chain do I need? I was running
stock sprokets w/ 22" tires and 1st was still too low. I race
and trail ride.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just read through this thread and the 15T sounds pretty interesting.

After the "3 mods" I've found where I can lug down third and bring the power on when needed. It's nice when just putting around the fields and vineyards where I live. And yes, first is basically useless. I am not shifting as much when trail riding and when cruising alongside the tracks around 40-50 mph, usually flip between fourth and fith just to change the rpms for break in, but could easily be in third at higher revs.

So, what would the 15T do for me? Bring back a use for first gear? Have me shifting between first and second for trail riding rather than second and third? Is that really a benefit?
I'm not really looking for any more top end so don't know if a taller gearing would benefit my type of riding other than using first more. I suppose for the money I could always give it a try, but don't feel the need to waste my money either. Including the socket and hassle to change out the sprocket.

Any comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
smithZ said:
and trail ride.
you can use your oem chain - no problems... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boom: thanks a lot for your response. That really helped to clarify things.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
smithZ said:
and trail ride.

dude, I think even with the amount of power you have, that gearing is WAAAY overboard. I was messing around earlier and noticed that with STOCK gearing and 22's it ends up being equal gearing compared to a 15/37 geared 700 with 20's! thats if your 22's are true 22's.

If I were in your shoes I would just go with the 36 rear, or just go with the 15. Not both with 22's.....but thats just me.
ha ha.....your capable topspeed, gearing limited, would be 118mph!! ha ha ha.

if you didnt have 22's I would say do the 15/36.....but with the 22's its really hard to say. All I know is that is extremely tall gearing....and those 22's make a huge difference all by themselves!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks 135boom, Going back to stock size tires. Trying to loose
weght. Really studying the weights of tires. Rotating weight
makes a big difference.

41 - 60 of 406 Posts