Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding the vforce 700 for a few years now and just picked up a left over 06 anniversary raptor. I don't have but 5 min on the thing and have been reading about the front sprocket swap. The shop tells me I must change my chain if I swap the sprocket. Can someone help me out an confirm this. I have seen alot of chatter or people making the switch, but nothing about the chain. I will ride primarily sand with this one. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The shop is full of shit go ahead and swap it out. I did it with about ten hours on it and there hasn't been one problem. It's worth it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If its still stock and you ride sand, I would stick with the 14T. Even with the 3 mods, the 15t is a tad high for serious duning / hillclimbs. On dirt, it wouldnt be an issue but sand robs power.

You can swap out the front sprocket without swapping out the chain. Theres plenty of slack in the stock chain...You'll need a 36MM socket to get off the nut. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Yeah sorry didn't see the sand thing I am primarily dirt, rock , and mud.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
The shop is full of shit go ahead and swap it out. I did it with about ten hours on it and there hasn't been one problem. It's worth it.
+1

The shop prolly wanted to sell you a chain...... :confused:

Welcome to the site..... 8)

·
Are Ya Jealous
393 Posts
If its still stock and you ride sand, I would stick with the 14T. Even with the 3 mods, the 15t is a tad high for serious duning / hillclimbs. On dirt, it wouldnt be an issue but sand robs power.

You can swap out the front sprocket without swapping out the chain. Theres plenty of slack in the stock chain...You'll need a 36MM socket to get off the nut. :thumbsup:
when you say "duning/hillclimbs" do you mean dune hillclimbs or jus hillclimbing in genereal?? hillclimbing is my thing, long hills, creek banks or jus tryin to get to the top of a hill side that has no trail on it....so would the 15t not be a good idea for me?? cause the way these guys talked in one of the 15t forums which i can no longer find, really made me want to change mine out........

·
Registered
355 Posts
I dont know what you guys are talking about my 15t is awesome in the sand! It keeps the quad in the power band longer.

·
Super Moderator NW Raptor Rally Coordinator
1,379 Posts
If you go to a 15 with a stock raptor 5th will fall on its face in the sand,for most raptors and in the tree shots it can bog out. Now if you go big 3 this will help but add a good cam and port with that and the 15 runs great. When I was stock the 13 worked great for the tree shots ( flip you over backwords tree shots). Also a vast amount of this information will change with the type of tire you are running. Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the 15T better in the dirt...but had to swap it back in the sand. It wouldn't pull as hard and seemed to bog down. I think rider weight plays a big factor. I weigh 225, from what I have read the bigger guys aren't as happy with the 15t until you really start modding. I am thinking about dropping to a 36t in the back (with the 14t front) to try and go somewhere in between.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts