Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with a built 450R. We raced yesterday morning about 8 times. I beat him by about a quad each time as usual.

At lunch I put on the 15 tooth. We raced again about 10 times over a few hour time span and he walks away from me. From a dead stop or a roll it doesn't matter, I lose. I was pissed.

My 700r is bone stock.

So, I put the stock gear back on and things are back to normal. I am in front of his 450R

So if your bone stock 700r was faster with the 15 tooth, then I am happy for you, mine was slower.

With some mods it may be a different story.

EDIT: I ran the 15 tooth with STOCK tires. NONE of the information above pertains to running with the 22" mudlites in my signature.

·
Registered
123 Posts
in ur sig it says that you have 22s on the rear. that already changed the gearing to the same effect the 15 tooth would have on you bike if you had 20s on. so ur gearing is already set up like a 15 tooth stock bike. so 15 + stock does not equal slower. your gearing was set up like a 16 tooth

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
rappy_700 said:
in ur sig it says that you have 22s on the rear. that already changed the gearing to the same effect the 15 tooth would have on you bike if you had 20s on. so ur gearing is already set up like a 15 tooth stock bike. so 15 + stock does not equal slower. your gearing was set up like a 16 tooth
Yep, He said it perfectly. 8)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me add a point.
The 15 tooth was ONLY used with stock tires. I have a gear calculator and I understand that the 22" tires raise the ratio equivalent to adding another tooth on the front sprocket. I have Never run the 22" tires with a 15 tooth.

I will modify the original post to reflect this information.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't think anybody has ever advocated the use of the 15t with a stock bike. I think the same can be said of 22's. One of my Raptors runs a budget build, intake(no lid), Dobeck($100) and the sparky pulled. The 15t added to this package made my bike faster with more usable gearing even running 22's. Keep in mind I am only on sand but as it seems you may have discovered. Your own personal testing sometimes yields invaluable results.

Craig,

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I tried out a 15T on my stock bike over the weekend at the dunes, it was too much. I ended up having to climb the steep stuff in 2nd because 3rd would bog out. It was CLOSE to being able to do it but it just wasnt quite there. I have no doubt a pipe/intake/PCIII would cure that.

Im the type that has to try crap out for myself. I felt first gear was worthless even in stock form so I decided to try out the 15t, but its just too much, so I will live with second gear starts until I get the intake/exhaust :thumbsup: My 14T will go back on before my next dunes trip.

However, my 9 paddles may also be a bit much, but with the 14t I think they would be fine, but the combination of 9 paddles and a 15t = 2nd gear hill climbs for me :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think you will be fine once you get the three mods done. The nine paddles I would think are a little much too. If you still have a stock length swing arm it is going to be hard to keep the front end down. It is good that you are seeing what works for you though. :thumbsup:

Craig,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.