Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you all say the 15t puts more power to the ground is that meaning less wheel spin?also if you put the 15t on do you need to change the rear spocket or chain due to wear?

·
Registered
689 Posts
No, to put a 15T you do not need to change the rear sprocket. There is no need for a new chain, stock one will still work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You also dont have to shift as much. Lets you hold the gear longer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
15 gives you less acceleration, more top end therefor less wheel spin. i'm gonna go to a 15 for the longer gears, i ride in 1-3 now and wanna do just 1-2

·
Registered
54 Posts
i dont think ive ever used 1st gear. i cant imagine you can put much of it to the ground without spinning or standing up.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
just in case anyone is looking, RMATV
15t , in stock
Primary Drive Front Sprocket 15 Tooth
Fits: 2006, YAMAHA, RAPTOR 700
Our price: $7.99
Part# 30715
Size:
Select 13 Tooth 14 Tooth 15 Tooth See Machine Specs
This item is In-Stock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there anything tricky about changing the front sprocket on a raptor? Do you leave the chain on long enough to loosen the bolts? I've changed 4 or 5 others, but not on a Yamaha. I bought the 15T Renthal from RM ATV. Looks like I paid $27.18 delivered. That would be $18.99 at their store.

·
Registered
584 Posts
No its easy, loosen the chain then bend the tabs on the lock washer and zip off the nut. Do a search for the size its metric. Then change the sprockets and reverse installation. Bam your done. I got mine from rockymountain atv, primary drive brand for $7.99.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i wanna say its a 36mm? a 1 7/16 will also work.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
devilisht2003 said:
15 gives you less acceleration, more top end therefor less wheel spin. i'm gonna go to a 15 for the longer gears, i ride in 1-3 now and wanna do just 1-2
that is incorrect, unless you are talking about on asphault where you get max traction....and even then I think the 15T is quicker.
Believe me, I understand your logic, and on street bikes and other machines it makes perfect sence. BUT, on the 700 the dyno graph is pretty much backwards. ALL your power is in the low-mid range. What happens is you spin all that power away instantly...and you are always shifting or flying threw the gears because of it.
What the 15T does is slow down the rear tires....gets more tractable power, puts the power to the ground and you end up accelerating WAAAAY faster.
I have done countless drag races on hardpack dirt/gravel and the 15T far out accelerates a 14T and it keeps on pulling, and you end up with more top speed.

Its a WIN/WIN no matter what. The best least expensive mod I have done! If an exhaust/intake/controller give you about 8-10hp, the 15T "FEELS" like you get another 5-6hp....and it will give you the results of atleast a 6hp gain.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No one ventures into the archived forum?

·
Registered
833 Posts
135boom said:
devilisht2003 said:
that is incorrect, unless you are talking about on asphault where you get max traction....and even then I think the 15T is quicker.
Believe me, I understand your logic, and on street bikes and other machines it makes perfect sence. BUT, on the 700 the dyno graph is pretty much backwards. ALL your power is in the low-mid range. What happens is you spin all that power away instantly...and you are always shifting or flying threw the gears because of it.
What the 15T does is slow down the rear tires....gets more tractable power, puts the power to the ground and you end up accelerating WAAAAY faster.
I have done countless drag races on hardpack dirt/gravel and the 15T far out accelerates a 14T and it keeps on pulling, and you end up with more top speed.

Its a WIN/WIN no matter what. The best least expensive mod I have done! If an exhaust/intake/controller give you about 8-10hp, the 15T "FEELS" like you get another 5-6hp....and it will give you the results of atleast a 6hp gain.
you are basically saying the same thing just he used less words.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
[/quote]
you are basically saying the same thing just he used less words.
[/quote]

.............Well, no I dont think so. He is saying by putting the 15T on, you loose acceleration or that your 700 will not be as quick. THAT is untrue on the 700. While I totally understand his thinking and his logic, it is not true in real world testing and riding on the raptor 700.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 15T sprocket is the best mod for the money.
No other mod gives you that "seat of the pants" difference for $8.
I wish I did it sooner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
135boom said:
devilisht2003 said:

You are right, in a sense. What happens is, when you go up one tooth in the front, each gear becomes longer, more "elastic", so you are able to stay on the "best" powerband of each gear for longer. Each gear has a range in which you get the most power... If you go up one tooth, each gear becomes longer, and so does the powerband with the most power, for that gear. This means that the gap between the best powerband for each gear is narrowed, so in fact you are able to go through all the gears within a "better" powerband". That is why the quad feels like it has more horsepower. However, it does not have more PEAK horsepower.
I understand where all this confusion comes from. How can you get more power from a longer gear? Indeed, you DO lose power in 1st gear. However, that is not a problem beacause the "high" portion of the first gear is replaced with the "low" portion of 2nd gear (because 2nd is more elastic), and the low portion of 1st gear is never used in a quad anyway, because it has too much power, which is lost in wheelspin. You get more power because the powerbands in each gear become wider. So, what happens is you get more USABLE power, and you lose nothing in practical terms.
I am not talking from experience, as I do not have a 15th yet. I am talking off the top of my head, it is just simple Mechanics.
I hope this explanation helps to clear this matter.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
sangue_e_Tripas said:
135boom said:
devilisht2003 said:

You are right, in a sense. What happens is, when you go up one tooth in the front, each gear becomes longer, more "elastic", so you are able to stay on the "best" powerband of each gear for longer. Each gear has a range in which you get the most power... If you go up one tooth, each gear becomes longer, and so does the powerband with the most power, for that gear. This means that the gap between the best powerband for each gear is narrowed, so in fact you are able to go through all the gears within a "better" powerband". That is why the quad feels like it has more horsepower. However, it does not have more PEAK horsepower.
I understand where all this confusion comes from. How can you get more power from a longer gear? Indeed, you DO lose power in 1st gear. However, that is not a problem beacause the "high" portion of the first gear is replaced with the "low" portion of 2nd gear (because 2nd is more elastic), and the low portion of 1st gear is never used in a quad anyway, because it has too much power, which is lost in wheelspin. You get more power because the powerbands in each gear become wider. So, what happens is you get more USABLE power, and you lose nothing in practical terms.
I am not talking from experience, as I do not have a 15th yet. I am talking off the top of my head, it is just simple Mechanics.

ummmmm, is that not what I said without getting technical? I know it doesnt add power...haha.....re-read what I posted........ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
135boom said:
sangue_e_Tripas said:
135boom said:
devilisht2003 said:

ummmmm, is that not what I said without getting technical? I know it doesnt add power...haha.....re-read what I posted........ :thumbsup:

I know that is what you said, and I know you know what you are talking about... :thumbsup:
I just wanted to explain in technical terms how it is possible to get more USABLE power from something which at first, seems like it would take away acceleration (e.g. longer gears). :bump: :bump: :bump:
When I ask people why does something work, I am usually not satisfied with replies such as: "it works because it feels faster". I like to understand how things work, and I bet a lot of people here do too. I know you wanted to keep it simple, but the fact that there are so many threads about the 15tth sprocket attests to the fact that explanations so far have not been satisfactory.
I have learnt a lot from reading posts from the technically inclined people in this forum, so I try to give my 2 cents when I have the opportunity!
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

By the way, I love this site! :banana_hitit: :banana_hitit: :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Your all good man....I thought you misunderstood, or misread something I had said. Your fine....and thanks for explaining it more so that others can figure it out.
sorry for the misunderstanding, and YES...this site is full of awesome members!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts