Raptor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im a newby over here !!! And i have a question !!!!! A friend of mine its selling me his quad its a raptor 08 700 .... Cheap $3500 .... The bad thing its has a transmission problem ... The first gear make a wierd noise !!!! The mechanic said that is a broken tooth ..... Everything elseis just fine ......... My question is how much its gonna cost me to get it fix !!! And if its worth it to buy it and fixed ? Its to expensive ?? My friend use the quad like that , he never use the 1st gear he start in second gear every time !!!!

If any body can help i will appreciate thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
i have an 09 se and 4th gear siezed up on the main shaft and broke 3 gears in it it cost me 1200.00 to fix it parts and labor.....i dont know where ya from but you can get 700s for like 2000 to 2500 on craigslist usually or you might check into someone parting one out and buy a bottom end and change them out

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 gear problem

Im from nj... Those things are expensive over here ...... Not less than 3500 for a 700 ...... Damm man 1200 wooo expensive !!!!! You i been looking on cl .... And thats the best price for an used 2006 700 ..... So what you thing ..... Its worth it ???

·
Registered
369 Posts
to me it would be worth the road trip to go down south and pick one up or something im guessing your about 4hrs from dc and you could go another 3 or so and be in roanoke va and they is usually several you can find and jew em down a lil with cash in hand or meet half way....mine messed up last summer with the trans and like i said it cost me 1200 to fix it and i got it back in like sept now they say the bottom end is siezed up on it and who knows what thats gonna cost...im thinkin i got a lemon and i bought this thing brand new

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhh or just bad luck bro !!!!!! I had a 660 in the past and let me tell you something i was a pain in the axx !!!!! ( all about transmission)

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeah i had a 660 and it jumped time where the chain was wore out and loose and i got it rebuild cause it bent the valves and that thing smoked like a train after that it was never right

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol

yeah i had a 660 and it jumped time where the chain was wore out and loose and i got it rebuild cause it bent the valves and that thing smoked like a train after that it was never right
im going to check it out tomorrow !!!! and then i will see the thing is i have a 05 yfz that im selling and this guy is taking my quad as a trade !!! my quad its stock .... but it is very well maintained and clean !!!! i dont know if a should trade it ..... i like raptors better ......

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeah i hear ya man i was gonna get me a 450 but no reverse no thanks lol i paid too much for it not to have reverse at the drag strip my buddy used to smoke me off the line and id catch him about 1/2 to 3/4 track and blow by him...no replacement for displacement

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would have a hard time paying anything near retail for a broken ATV. Transmission issues are expensive and seem to reoccur. I suggest selling the 450 outright and keep searching.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I would have a hard time paying anything near retail for a broken ATV. Transmission issues are expensive and seem to reoccur. I suggest selling the 450 outright and keep searching.
3500 isn't anywhere near retail, in fact it's less than half of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thing im going to do it

3500 isn't anywhere near retail, in fact it's less than half of it.
you know hes selling it for 3000 its a 08 raptor 700 if i put 500 or even a 1000 dollars on it .. i still having a nice quad under 4 k ......

·
Registered
3 Posts
As long as your mechanic doesn't find much else wrong while he's in there it shouldn't be too bad.

On the other hand, even if you have to replace a few other things and it costs you a few extra bucks, at least you know what you have got.

Don't forget, you'd be mad not to freshen the top end up with at least a hone and new rings while it's all apart.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I dont' even use first gear at all lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
yeah if you got some broken teeth in there and them chips are bouncing around in there you can bet one will go where its not suppost to when your in a bad spot to get hauled out lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my mechanic is out of state hes coming back on saturday ... so we are going to start working on that transmission on monday ..... like a said everything else its working fine just the problem with the first gear ... there is any possibility of anything else like messed up !!!! and which is the best place to buy parts online i need to get a gasket kit and whatever is broke .....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts