Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. me and a friend of mine just got our mods..

Mine
1. White Bros Aluminum ProII
2. Pro Design pro flow
3. PCIII with fuel moto custom map
4. Protec Mo Flow lid

His
1. HMF Sport series
2. Pro Design pro flow
3. PCIII with fuel moto custom map
4. Protec Mo Flow lid

so we installed everything except my exhaust, cuz we wanted to to test the diff. between a modded raptor and one modded running on stock exhaust with baffle out.. anyway..

installation went fine.. we finished both bikes in 4 hours.. the problems came up with the power commanders..

the first problem was with my friends quad.. the exhaust kept back firing and giving black smoke... not to mention sometimes just shutting down.. first thing i did was d/l all the maps from the PC website.. hooked the laptop to the PCIII and saved the fuel moto map for future reference.. and loaded map m416-027. it's the closest that suited the mods.. anyway after that was done.. the quad finally started responding in a better manner.. but we still had an issue of backfiring.. the quad will only back fire in high rpm's, if in neutral and revving hard it will back fire with a big flame.. and when shifting from gear to gear in high rpm it will also give a big flame.. could it be that we need a better map??.. it was aparent that the fuel moto map was simply crap.. that was one problem.. the second problem which was common for both quads was the accellerator pump.. whenever i tried enabling it it says pcIII not connected.. i really haven't researched this issue much simply for time constraints.. i'm trying to figure it out while writing this.. but i am in the dark with this issue..

the last problem was with my bike.. also concerning the PCIII, when i connected the laptop the PCIII had no map in it to begin with.. which was very dissappointing.. i wont need it for the time being cuz i'm still running stock exhaust with baffle out... anyway i downloaded the map m416-003 Stock exhaust with muffler insert removed Stock air filter Airbox lid removed, the problem with this map is that it's for stock air filter and i am running pro design pro flow with K&N, the quad back fires on deceleration.. but it runs fine.. i need to get the map with the air filter that matches mine, so if anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it.. i am yet to contact fuel moto for my original map and see what went wrong.. and try to firgure out the accelerator issue.. i hope you guys can help me out.. peace..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mine crackles and pops every now and then in the high RPMs.. I shoot flames as well.

Stock Intake (lid removed) / Yosh Slip on / PCIII... I forget which map I have in it currently.. but it's one of the lid removed with slip on map.. runs great.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You DO need a map your not burning right. Sorry my map is custom dyno...its the way to go

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if it runs good with the occaisional crackle and pop is normal ?? .. that flame on high rpm's really worries me..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check your plug... itll let you know how the bike is running.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LNS said:
Check your plug... itll let you know how the bike is running.
so as long as the plug is ok.. backfiring isnt an issue??

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Raptor has the mods listed in my sig. It pops every now and then when your getting on it real hard in the high RPM range like you stated you friends was doing. I think it is normal because mine has been doing it since i have put the exhaust on it and i haven't had any problems at all. But that is the only time mine will pop is when its getting revved up real tight and it will only pop maybe once or twice. It doesn't just keep popping. As for the flame coming out the back mine will do that accasionally too. But i have never noticed it when i was driving it just when some of the friends want to hear it revved up sitting still it will short a flame about a foot long out the back. Hope this helps some.

Jamie

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep thats exactly what's going on.. i played around with it today and it seems it is also emitting some black smoke everytime it is revved.. i also managed to fix the accel pump issue and it still gave black smoke.. as for the popping and backfire.. it is as you mentioned.. in those specefic cases.. since that seems to be normal.. is the black smoke a bad sign??.. and on the other raptor with stock exhaust baffle removed it puffed some white smoke which eventually turned black... and when i would put my palm against the exhaust to smell it.. it smelled loike it was seriously burned..

·
Registered
912 Posts
My raptor shoots black smoke when I rev it up in cold wheather. After I ride a little while it stops so I think it has something to do with the power commander. I'm not worried about it because it runs fine. 8)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sometimes one would wish he had x-ray vision too look inside the engine and see what's going on... uhm.. forget i said that, i got better uses for x-ray vision

1 - 10 of 10 Posts