Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a fellow coworker has a 2001 660 that im looking at buying..but it has a running issue..it starts and idles fine, but you need to really work the throttle to get it to rev up..when it does get revved up the pipe starts to glow red hot..my answer would be its lean..but why? he cleaned the carbs several times and still nothing..any answers here? im able to get it cheap but dont want a basket case

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
a fellow coworker has a 2001 660 that im looking at buying..but it has a running issue..it starts and idles fine, but you need to really work the throttle to get it to rev up..when it does get revved up the pipe starts to glow red hot..my answer would be its lean..but why? he cleaned the carbs several times and still nothing..any answers here? im able to get it cheap but dont want a basket case
MAYBE incorrect jetting above idle, is there any mods done to the airbox.........

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Dirty Carb!!!! You have to crrectly clean it. "IT" being the jets. Take some speaker wire and rod the jets. Then shoot some carb cleaner through them. If the bike has sat for a while, varnish that may be in the supply line can break off and reclog the jets. Take the bowls off carefully and pour the gas in a container so you can see if peices of varnish or dirt are floating around. Good luck.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
If it has sat, unused, the carbs are dirty and jets (especially pilot jets) are plugged... remove, dismantle and clean - all will be well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The pipe will glow after a relatively short period of time if the machine is not moving or moving at slow speed (i.e. an air flow is cooling the exhaust). From your description I am assuming you have been doing most of your 'testing' whilst stationary or at low speed.

I doubt it is lean, follow the suggestions given above first before worrying about it being lean and changing anything.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
ok..but why would the pipe glow red hot?
Because it's too lean - because the pilot jets are plugged... this just verifies my original diagnosis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
update, the quad runs but spits and sputters at idle, when throttle is pushed it wants to die out..i noticed today that there is a hose fitting between the top back of the carbs that has no hose run to it..is there one needed for that? also the are 2 hoses that run around the top of each carb attached to the gas tank and come down the side and hang there..are those suppose to go somwhere? i dont see anywhere for them to go

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
update, the quad runs but spits and sputters at idle, when throttle is pushed it wants to die out..i noticed today that there is a hose fitting between the top back of the carbs that has no hose run to it..is there one needed for that? also the are 2 hoses that run around the top of each carb attached to the gas tank and come down the side and hang there..are those suppose to go somwhere? i dont see anywhere for them to go
There is a vent hose from the middle of the carbs and there are also two hoses from the top of the carbs that are hooked to the air intake boots..........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got everything figured out i think other than the high idle, the idle screw is all the way out and it still wants to idle high..it comes down once in a while but usually stays up..this one is stumpin me..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i got everything figured out i think other than the high idle, the idle screw is all the way out and it still wants to idle high..it comes down once in a while but usually stays up..this one is stumping me..
You must have a vacuum leak in the intake boots some where.............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts