Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took it riding and it would idle and rev up fine the next time i took it riding every few minutes it would have this backfiring problem where i couldnt even get up to speed. it sounds like an automatic shotgun is going off and i dont know what to do. (so this is what i tried )

i bypassed the reverse rev limiter
took off the pb sensor
cleaned the carbs
changed the spark plug and got a new kn&n air filter

still is doing it constant now

it just wont rev up but idles fine

idk what else to do maybe rejet it because i didnt put any new jets in. i just cleaned everything very well.

Can someone please help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i took it riding and it would idle and rev up fine the next time i took it riding every few minutes it would have this backfiring problem where i couldnt even get up to speed. it sounds like an automatic shotgun is going off and i dont know what to do. (so this is what i tried )

took off the pb sensor
cleaned the carbs

idk what else to do maybe rejet it because i didnt put any new jets in. i just cleaned everything very well.

Can someone please help
oh and i made sure all the carb boots are snug with no leaks

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Do you have any mods done on the bike? open air box or lid on?

·
Registered
190 Posts
will it rev to a certain point then stop? will it ever rev past this point?

·
Registered
190 Posts
sounds like a rev limiter prob. Just unpluging the park brake sensor, will not disconnect the circut. If the wire is shorting out agaisnt the frame , that could cause this. Look at the sticky in the forum and cut the wire at the cdi.

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
Cut green/yellow at CDI. Ground Green/white at CDI.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

took off the pb sensor
cleaned the carbs

Can someone please help
How did you bypass the reverse rev limiter. The park brake rev limiter might also cause problems if the connectors are open. Water or mud can cause the rev limiter to come on if the water hits the open connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the PB sensor and I'm certain it's not the PB or the reverse. It is driving me nuts because idk if it's electrical at this point or maybe the carbs . How many rotations out does the air idle screw come out I think I'm gonna mess around with that

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I checked the PB sensor and I'm certain it's not the PB or the reverse. It is driving me nuts because idk if it's electrical at this point or maybe the carbs . How many rotations out does the air idle screw come out I think I'm gonna mess around with that
3.5 maximum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Air box lid is on and only mods are a white bros slip on and the kn&n air filter but it revs exactly the same with the lid on or off

·
Master of the Electron
15,454 Posts
Carbs are not your problem if the RPMS gets 'stuck' at a particular, low RPM and can't ever get past it.

How do you know for sure that you've got the PB and reverse limiters covered? What, exactly, have you done? These would be my first guess at your problem, explaining your symptoms exactly. Nothing else really does, unless your descriptions are off base.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Air box lid is on and only mods are a white bros slip on and the kn&n air filter but it revs exactly the same with the lid on or off
Did you clean the carbs before this problem started.............

·
Registered
12 Posts

took off the pb sensor
cleaned the carbs

Can someone please help
Mine does the same exact thing, I have an 03 660 and I've got it running, it idles fine but when racing my brothers exact 660 his is way faster and mine doesn't wanna hit higher rpm, when I let go of the throttle while slowing down it backfires like crazy the neighbors called the cops thinking it was a gun going off. So I went ahead and bought the aftermarket screw for the carb (air screw) hopefully ill get the carb tuned good, from my experience cause I've worked on a lot of Hondas and such, so I wasn't all familiar with the dual carb, but its actually that simple. So I'm gonna try out the 3.5 turn out screw while adjusting the idle screw and see what happens, I will post results..

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
3.5 turns cc is too much, and the end of adjustment. 3 turns should be about the most needed.
You need to read the Stickie Secfion on 660 carbs, as you likely have other issues too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts