Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im a fresh member here. i just bought a 01 660. $400 with a REAL title.

crank snapped in half and split left hand or "middle" case. everything els looks good from outside. its only a small hairline crack.

but is it worth it to "flip" one of these? i have to do something with it. i REALLY dont think parting it out is an option, takes way to long dont suggest that.

reason i'm asking. full rebuild could cost up to 1grand. 1400. then selling it any less than 2500 would suck

has anyone flipped one. or sold one that was just rebuilt with recipts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also can i buy both case halfs for an 02-05? wich ever case year got an oil filter that doesnt look like complete $hit ahahaha, i hate this car style oil filter its ugly

basically i want a standard atv. inside the case oil filter

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Hate to tell you this bubba, but you are gonna have a tough time selling an '01 for $2500 bucks. Also, doesn't matter what year cases you get for a 660, the oil filter is always on the outside.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
part it out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motors taken out. left case is cracked for sure, i saw it its small, have no idea of what inside looks like. could have both cracked. im taking the engine appart no matte what... i do not want to part it out. id rather ride it a bit enjoy it and sell for at least same price i put into it. im prob just gona spray the frame and arms. no powder cuz not worth it. and anyone know what the hell the little electronical sensor is on the back of the case. near swing arm? i cant get the fucker off

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i got some more pics for you guys. help me out!

first off....i pull of clutch cover and i see this :) hahah lovely but gears look fine! how is this even possible for the gears to be good!

then i find some allens sitting in bottom?!!!! ive never seen alen heads inside a motor? does the 660 have them? did somone purposly try to blow this motor up hahaha

shrapnel

everything looks good with these

now heres something i need to know! is this is a sleeve + overbore it looks like a sleeve. because those cooling slots are SMALL and it looks removable. also the cylinder has a scribed 3c1 on the outside i think thats whats written at least. please help me out here. i keep all of my bikes stock!!! bone stock!!! so stuff like this doesnt happen
\

AND THIS MADE MY NIGHT!!!!!! WOOOO CRANKS ALL TOGETHER!!! SCOOOREE HAhahah. but what cracked cases? could the counterbalance have hit? cuz it is right above the counterbalance

any help would be great guys, and the crank will need a rebuild anyone have some good experience with a certain company for crank rebuilds?
let me know who i should send it out too

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Those allen bolts are from your one way starter clutch assembly. They sheared off and dropped to the bottom. Take your left case cover off and you will see what I'm talking about. That needs to be replaced too otherwise you will be pull-starting once you get everything else back together. Thread locker those new allen bolts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those allen bolts are from your one way starter clutch assembly. They sheared off and dropped to the bottom. Take your left case cover off and you will see what I'm talking about. That needs to be replaced too otherwise you will be pull-starting once you get everything else back together. Thread locker those new allen bolts.

ok thanks that makes sense. but i dont know where the clutch is on that? i never have worked on a starter clutch got any pics? all i see is straight gears from the starter motor, no clutch system

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Left side of the motor, behind the flywheel. There is a 52 tooth gear back there that will be the most obvious way of being able to tell what you are looking at.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43412&d=1282279178

Parts 6 and 9 specifically are the 52 tooth and the one way. Part 10 is the allen head bolts that sheared off and which you found in the bottom of your motor. Get the replacement from L&A Designs. Very good, and better than OEM.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Left side of the motor, behind the flywheel. There is a 52 tooth gear back there that will be the most obvious way of being able to tell what you are looking at.
o ok! so is the clutch the thing that has those plastic retainers holding steel dowels in? inside the flywheel? cuz the 52tooth gear couldnt be a clutch by itselft right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Remember 01 had the tranny recall and starter gear recall I had to fix that on my early on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
L&A makes a great starter clutch And I used the Yukon HD tranny upgrade kit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
L&A makes a great starter clutch And I used the Yukon HD tranny upgrade kit
thanks yea ive heard of yukon. and from what i heard so far they are the shit. so im going with them for the gears. should i really get an ENTIRE new tranny set. or just whats worn?

and ill have to take some pics. but theres weld on the bottom of my flywheel!? and i dont see a way the clutch is removable? is that rigged up or stock hahaa?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also wile im waiting trying to figure out stuff. whats the best carbon removing chemical? i saw some dude used something that looked like a goo? and it removed his valve carbon veryyy good. i have acid at my dads shop. i use it to clean off all my aluminum on bikes. could i just use the acid on them?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
please respond asap. is the crank nut reverse threaded like the LTZ400 or is it regulare threaded? trying to get the bastard off now

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Download the service manual and look it up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey it might sound lame But when WKR sent me back my old parts I dipped the valves and piston in a degreaser called Purple Power. I left them overnight in the solution, Next day all the carbon had come off No brushing or scrubbing Then I sold them on Ebay.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
And the crank nut is not reverse thread Its just really tight An impact gun is a must

1 - 20 of 142 Posts