Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my raptor sat for a year.. STUPID!

I drained the fuel put fresh in, changed spark plug and now it will only start when the throttle is open and won't idle at all. It pops like crazy and sounds really off. It won't turn over right away either it takes a few tries THUS killing my battery. I've messed with the idle screw and throttle and nothings working. Seems to be running a bit hot but I don't know if that's just from trying to turn it over so much?? And the fan never kicked on.. should it after starting it a few times and feeling really hot? BEH I feel stupid! lol it's been so long since I've ridden it.

FYI it was rolled about 2 rides before it was stored.. don't know if that could have anything to do with it. It fired right up after the roll and was ridden without any problems until parked, sat for about a month went to fire it up and wouldn't.. then it sat for a year.

I'm nowhere close to a mechanic, but can usually figure it out with some guidance on where to start. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
If it sat for a year, I'd say your first place to start is going to be to remove the carbs and give them a good thorough cleaning.

·
Master of the Electron
15,552 Posts
Pure and simple - the carbs are filled with gunky varnish from gasoline evaporating over the year...

Remove the carbs (leave them tied together), dismantle one at a time (so you can use the other to verify where the parts go back) and thoroughly clean every part, jet, valve and passage that comes in contact with that gas. All will be fine when you're done.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Especially the pilots jets and fuel screw passages.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts