Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2001 Yamaha Raptor for $2200!! It has a FMF exaust on it, aftermarket front bumper, aftermarket rear grab bar, aftermarket rear shock and resovior, Brand new holeshot's all the way around and I believe ITP's. I don't really know what kinda of parts some of the parts are, but thats ok. Now here is the questions. In have heard that alot of the 01's have had tranny and rear end problems. How often do these have problems? Also did Yamaha ever do a recall on these problems? I think it would be a great deal! It looks like the guy has takin great care of it by the looks. I haven't talked to himm yet. I would like your guys imput. Thanks

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. Some 01s did have transmission failures, usually a problem with going into 2nd gear, all the parts to upgrade the tranny to the 02-05 tranny is about 475, then the cases have to be split to do the work. It might last years or days on the tranny that is in it now. Its hit or miss really, I know several 01s that still have the stock tranny in them and I have replaced several blown 01 trannys here in the shop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds nice. I'm still on my frist tranny :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. I am getting ready to call the guy right now. I will post what happens and what info I get.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just saw a 2001 at the local shop for 3400 and it didn't have all the options on it. I myself have a 01 660 and the tranny is fine. I beat the crap out of it also. But now that I said that it will blow out tomorrow

·
Registered
20 Posts
When i bought my 01 the guy said it had already been upgraded to an 02 tranny. Funny, cause my 2nd gear just disapeared a few weekends ago. Im really excited about tearing it apart again, its not like i have put enough money into this thing. :mad:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I paid $1400 for my 01' 660 8) I bought it from a friend who didn't ride it much and knew nothing about the problems with the 01's. I didn't know about them untill I found this site while trying to figure out what was wrong with my Rappy. I fried the shitty OEM one-way in the first week and the trans in the first month. I'd change out the OEM one-way for a L&A or L&L first thing. If you wait untill it starts to fail you'll have to replace the 52t gear that the one-way engages. The trans will start kicking out of 2nd or not shifting into it at all when it starts going out. At that point I'd get it fixed ASAP. If you keep riding it the trans can lock up at any speed and put you in a world of hurt. The trans will cost you about $850 in parts and labor if you have someone else do the work. Also, the OEM carb boots tend to blow off on the 01' models and shoud be replaced with a pair of UPP Racing boots. Think about how much all of this costs before you buy.

Trans update: $850
L&A one-way: $195 (not including gaskets)
UPP carb boots: $80

Total: $1125

If you wait untill the oem one-way fails you'll need the L&A kit which is $275.

That's what it cost to fix mine but since I got it for a good price it still turned out ok. That $2400 rappy can turn into a $3400-$3500 rappy quick, fast and in a hurry. Your saving grace though could be all of the mods that have been done. It sounds like it's got well over a grand in parts already installed. I'd talk to the owner and find out about EVERY mod that he has done to it. If everything checks out I'd prolly get it, just keep in mind about what can go wrong with them. If you get the trans updated I'd have a 686 kit installed. Be sure to stay clear of the JE pistons. They have a problem with cracking around the wrist pin and can grenade your engine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have a 01 and so far so good. ill keep my head up :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts