Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2002 raptor, and it is driving me crazy! Before purchasing the seller told me it needed a new starter clutch. I have now replaced the starter clutch, and starter relay. I have a green N light, and when I hit the button I hear the “click” from the relay. The engine will not turn over. I pull out the multimeter and start checking the voltage in the battery, and resistance in the relay, all checks out. I noticed that the starter motor was not getting power. I replaced the starter motor and confirm it was getting power, and that it was spinning. I am guessing it could be the starter coil, or the rectifier. Any suggestions? My fear is that the motor is seized.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Steps on how to that ? The stator gear turns clockwise.
Remove the sparkplug(makes it easier but not nesacery).
Remove the plastic threaded plug in the center of the stator cover.
Then you can put a socket and ratchet/breaker bar on the nut on the crankshaft.
You will then be able to easily turn the crankshaft by hand...unless the piston or crank is siezed and/or valves are bent.
Just follow the steps in the service manual like you were going to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fist on the list, would a sized motor cause the clicking ? Or is that just and electrical issue that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The fist on the list, would a sized motor cause the clicking ? Or is that just and electrical issue that needs to be addressed.
Yes or no.
Yes, it may make a clicking sound while trying to spin the starter, and the starter cannot turn, as the engine is siezed.
Or, the relay may not be working correctly, or the starter or bearing may be damaged or in a bind themselves, and be unable to turn over the engine, which is not siezed.
It's an easy check to see if the engine is siezed or not though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you try testing the battery when you hit the start button? Sometimes the battery will show 12 volts when not under a load, but when you hit the button it might drop more than it should. If I remember right; it shouldn’t drop below 9or10v.
Also try tapping the starter. Maybe the starter is bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I took out the battery and it read 12.8 - 12.7 . When I clicked the button it dropped to 11. I switched out the battery with one I have on a arctic cat 500, received the same outcome. I confirmed that starters spin fast then slow down, then speed up. As of now I can confirm that I am getting power to the relay and starter motor. I also bypassed the relay and received a no start.

I will be taking the following to troubleshoot. Any suggestions are welcomed

1. Clean all connections
2. Make sure ground cables are clean and tight.
3. Removed the regulator and try to start.
4. Confirm that the motor is not seized.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You could always bench test the starter. Also you could try to push start the bike, that will let you know if the engine is siezed:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have tried to push start it and the back wheels lock up. I did it on grass and not on pavement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BM’s I am new to all this. I really appreciate all the help. I will be using sixpack556 method to confirm if the motor is seized. If the motor is seized I am going to try an get it going. After some research, It could be possible to get it going by using some marvel mystery oil.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
BM’s I am new to all this. I really appreciate all the help. I will be using sixpack556 method to confirm if the motor is seized. If the motor is seized I am going to try an get it going. After some research, It could be possible to get it going by using some marvel mystery oil.
The Marvel Mystery Oil will only help if the engine was running, sat for a long time, and the rings are now stuck to the cylinder.
It is very unlikely, but possible.
Spraying most any penatrating oil into the cylinder would free stuck rings too, but again, I doubt that's the problem.
If the engine is truly siezed, you will have a damaged piston and cylinder wall at minimum. If the timing jumped from timing chain slack, there will be piston and valve damage.
And, if it siezed from low oil, you will have damage throughout, it will have damaged the piston, cylinder, valves, cam, crankshaft and rod, all bearing surfaces, and may have also damaged the transmission.
But before jumping that far ahead, just remove the sparkplug and manually turn the engine by the nut on the crank as explained previously.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bad news, I snapped crank bolt. Yes the motor is seized. I am definitely not going to pay to rebuild.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts