Raptor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I was trying to pull the crank but I was unable to find a screw that fit the inner brace. Any suggestions as to the size ?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would run it as is.
That piece is still securely attached, and is not structural and has no stress on it.
It is in the case design for crank windage/it keeps oil from sloshing directly on the journals and foaming the oil.

As far as actually repairing it, yes, cast aluminum can be tig welded.
Will it be strong? The weld will be the strongest point on a casting repair, but again, no stress on that part, so your call.
That, or knock the chunk out and call it good.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Agree. Snap it off and run it, i can post a pic of my 660 with the same spot broken off and it runs just fine

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
2,416 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am going to snap it, I am having a lot of issues pulling the the bearings. SMH

·
Master of the Electron
15,417 Posts
Yeah, I'd break it off and file the edges smooth.

Reactions: 4stroker4life

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
My transmission gears fell off. Everything seems to be moving smoothly. I will need some help making sure my gears are set up correctly. I will be washing my case with oil eater to ensure I have no metal in the gears.
Anyone know where I can find new dowels locally?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I have snapped the broken section and will sand down using my dremel.
Has anyone used oil eater to was the inside of the case? I was told bc it has water it could rust up the gears. I can always just use diesel.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have snapped the broken section and will sand down using my dremel.
Has anyone used oil eater to was the inside of the case? I was told bc it has water it could rust up the gears. I can always just use diesel.
You can sand that by hand, knock any sharp edges off, aluminum is soft and easy to work with.
And, diesel fuel is fine, as is kerosene, brake cleaner, or most any degreaser.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I appreciate all the help. I am a novice at this mechanic stuff. I will need to buy a new cylinder what is the difference in a 102mm big bore and the OEM. Will I need to add any upgrade parts for the top end if I purchase the 102?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would not buy a Niche cylinder.
I have seen 3 bad ones personally...of 4(not for a 660).
There are quite a few complaints with them here too.
Spend a little more and buy a better brand, or have yours replated or sleeved, it will be Much more dependable.
I don't remember 660 bore diameter off hand, but a 102mm piston is just a little larger diameter than stock, not a big deal, and all you need with it is a quality head gasket.
Go up to at least an 11.1 compression ratio, and you'll gain some low rpm power.
It'll run good on 93 octane.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I noticed that LA sleeve sells a 100.mm sleeve , I can try to re sleeve my self . Team I am giving away the following. DM me if interested, if not I am just throwing them away.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
That should work fine. You still gotta clean it, right? Hey i know this is getting expensive already, but if you can afford it you really should put new bearings in it too

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yes, I am cleaning today with oil eater. It’s a water base degreaser and eco friendly. I will be replacing both main bearings .
I assumed you were, but i was referring to those transmission bearings that are still in the case in your picture. I dont know how much metal was inside your engine but there was quite alot in mine and considering it is a almost 20 year old machine i thought it was wise to replace all the bearings, even the counterbalancers, while i had it apart. It did cost me an extra $150 but i sure sleep good at night

61 - 80 of 136 Posts