Raptor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I cleaned them well they move smoothly I added some gear lube. I am having issues on removing the additional debris from the case. Should I use sand paper ? If so what grit ?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
A
I cleaned them well they move smoothly I added some gear lube. I am having issues on removing the additional debris from the case. Should I use sand paper ? If so what grit ?
A nylon scrubb brush or an old toothbrush with degreaser or carb cleaner.
Sand paper will just remove material and blend the grease through more pores in the metal.
Don't be concerned about getting it 100% spotless either. Once you've cleaned it with degreaser or carb cleaner a couple times, I wouldn't worry about stains.
Unless you can steam clean the cases, or bead blast(still abrasively removing material), odds are you won't get them completely free of discoloration.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
@Sixpack577 , what about the areas that I will need to add Yamabond? I still see some of the old sealant. I scrubbed the s*** out of them but It is still on there

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
@Sixpack577 , what about the areas that I will need to add Yamabond? I still see some of the old sealant. I scrubbed the s*** out of them but It is still on there

These 3M Roloc disks will take off old gasket material without easily damaging the aluminum.
Beats a razor blade every time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I dropped on in my honey bucket. But the auto parts store gave me 10 for 11 bucks. How do I take these out ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The seals?
A seal puller makes it easy.
It hooks in, then you pry out.
Autoparts store or HarborFeight should have them.

20210325_215827.jpg

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Ok cool, I’ll get one tomorrow. What the about install ?
A seal driver kit can be bought or rented at most autoparts stores.
Or, you can use a large socket.
Just be careful and go slow, make sure the seals go in straight, as it's very easy for them to go in crooked.
Wipe a small amount of oil on their inside opening before putting the shafts through them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Awesome , I got my crank, and case dirty during install can I clean with diesel . I read on this forum that I should not use solvents on the crank. Is there any validity to that ?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Awesome , I got my crank, and case dirty during install can I clean with diesel . I read on this forum that I should not use solvents on the crank. Is there any validity to that ?
Only because the rare solevent that may corrode the bearing surface under the rod, unlikely, but possible.
Diesel or kerosene is fine to clean it with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Well I got the oil bearings out with the puller. I also got me oil seal drive kit from HF. I am starting to reassemble the transmission. I’ll take pics later on .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I am doing some research, I am a bit confused with my shift drum. There seems to be a small grove. Do I need to put on a o-ring or is there a washer that should be added ?

81 - 100 of 136 Posts