Raptor Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Should I mount the lower? I mean I am going to have to wait 5 weeks for the other parts
Flip a quarter, it works either way.
The exhaust valves are a pain to adjust with the engine in, but not a big deal.
Personally, I would put the head on before putting the engine in, just because you already have it on the bench, vs working on the floor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
@Sixpack577 im at a standstill due to the head and cylinder. I cleaned my frame but noticed that my motor mounts, fender mounts have lost color. Any suggestions on what type of spray paint I can use ?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My last 660 frame I used Rustoleum from Walmart. I did alot of prep, scuffed with scotchbrite, and basic rubbing alcohol to wipe down(multiple times).
Good prep is the key to a good paint job.
I used 2 cans of primer and 3 or 4 cans of paint. One coat, wait 30 min, 2nd coat, let bake in the sun for several hours.
Wait a couple days for the paint to cure, and repeat.
About a week after the last coat, dummy me dropped a wrench and it hit the frame...and put a small dent in the paint, no chip or scratch! I was really impressed.
I'm decent with a rattle can, but not a painter by Any means(so if one shows up here, listen to them first), but, I have always had good luck with Rustoleum spray paint, and their metalics have a really nice finish.
As long as the surface is completely clean, a little rough or scuffed to give the paint somewhere to stick, you shake the can well, and you don't spray it on thick and take your time, you can end up with a very nice looking paint job, and it won't chip or peel.
Since you have some time, you could do the whole frame, or even change colors if you choose.

And, what you Really Need to is...start a build thread!
I know there's alot of us enjoying reading your progress, and who love to do frame-up rebuilds on old machines.
Some rough before pictures, ending up in your finished machined would be cool to see!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I really appreciate it. I would have started a build thread, thing is that I just don’t have the time to update both post. It just seems like I run into issues and the help that I get from you and other BM’s has been helpful and i can reference the info by going back through this thread. I ran into a issue with this part below. During cleaning the seal came out, and I lost the ball. I order a new one but I have to wait to get it in the mail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2002 raptor, and it is driving me crazy! Before purchasing the seller told me it needed a new starter clutch. I have now replaced the starter clutch, and starter relay. I have a green N light, and when I hit the button I hear the “click” from the relay. The engine will not turn over. I pull out the multimeter and start checking the voltage in the battery, and resistance in the relay, all checks out. I noticed that the starter motor was not getting power. I replaced the starter motor and confirm it was getting power, and that it was spinning. I am guessing it could be the starter coil, or the rectifier. Any suggestions? My fear is that the motor is seized.
When i heard a click & my raptor did nt start it was my solenoid tht needed to be changed

141 - 149 of 149 Posts