Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
hello everyone. i am hearing some noise when i start my bike
Good job. We've got everything we need to start diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow

10,000 comedians out of work and im stuck with you guys.:p lol I believe it might be a starter issue. i only hear the noise when i am starting the motor. once it starts the motor sounds fine.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
10,000 comedians out of work and im stuck with you guys.:p lol I believe it might be a starter issue. i only hear the noise when i am starting the motor. once it starts the motor sounds fine.
Which motor? the starting motor or the engine? :D

Sounds like you may have oneway clutch problems...........seriously now.........:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Okay, now can you be MUCH more descriptive in telling us your symptoms... what you've given us so far is like going to the doctor, saying 'I don't feel well' and expecting him to diagnose you with no more information.

WHAT kind of noise do you hear when you are starting? Does the engine always start anyway, regardless of the noise? Where does the noise appear to be coming from? Does it go away immediately when you let go of the start buttone? Etc., etc., etc.

Write us a novel - be verbose, so we can 'see' what you are seeing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only hear the sound (some times) when i am starting the engine. it dosnt allways start on the first atempt. and it kinda a clunk sound. when she starts up it purrs and runs like a raped ape.(not that i have ever seen a raped ape run. im just guessing) i removed the starter cover and the teeth on the starter gears seem in good shape. i am not able to go much further due to lack of tools and experence.

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Okay, it sounds as if you may be seeing the beginning of the common failure of the starter one-way bearing - it's concentric with that large starter gear, bolted to the flywheel.

If, occasionally, you hear a screech or clunk when starting, and, especially, if the starter motor turns, but the engine doesn't turn with it, the one-way is going out.

Around $250 for the L&A or Extreme aftermarket replacements (much better than the OEM, and usually cheaper too), and about 2-3 hours if you are reasonably proficient at turning wrenches yourself, or an additional $200 to $300 to have it done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Around $250 for the L&A or Extreme aftermarket replacements ??? do you know the parts i will need and a good place to get them? Online or should i just order them from a dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did mine. I got their puller from L&A with the kit. Very nice parts. Was not that bad in doing it. My spring finally broke. Took just over an hour. I got the 52 tooth gear and keyway with it. VERY important... I also bought a magnetic plug on e-bay for it. All made in the USA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just did mine. I got their puller from L&A with the kit. Very nice parts. Was not that bad in doing it. My spring finally broke. Took just over an hour. I got the 52 tooth gear and keyway with it. VERY important... I also bought a magnetic plug on e-bay for it. All made in the USA.
Please be more detaled. What is L&A? do they have a web site? Can some one hook me up with a detaled parts list needed to do this repair? from bolts to gaskets?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just ordered mine yesterday, 237.00 shipped to me in Texas. great people and fom what I understand an awesome product, I will be doing mine on sunday. Riding next weekend.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
I just ordered mine yesterday, 237.00 shipped to me in Texas. great people and fom what I understand an awesome product, I will be doing mine on sunday. Riding next weekend.
Let me no how it go's. i will be doing mine soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What kind of damage could occure if i ride it like is and it brakes? I just bought this beast and kinda dont want to miss out on any riding if it can wait till snowboard season to replace the oneway???

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
The failing one-way has already started dropping pieces of metal into your oil sump. Fix it now or risk fixing a whole lot more later.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts