Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, Im trying to pick up a 2003 raptor 660 thats for sale in my area and know it needs some work but wanted to see if this would be a hard fix or is there more to this issue than im thinking. Here is the info I got from the guy:

This 4 wheeler has sat in my garage for the better part of 2 years and ran well then. It starts but does not run well now, This 4 Wheeler has a lot of extra's, nerf bars, DG bumpers, full belly skid plate, new back tires, new clutch. The starter clutch is slipping and makes a ugly noise while the bike is running (sometimes). No bent parts and structurally it is very good condition. I need to get rid of it so I'm asking $1900 OBO.

Im thinking the carbs need to be cleaned and new gas ect. And the starter gear which runs $200 from what I can see on e bay. I have a Blaster right now and know my way around working on bikes, jet ski's and all. Would this be worth it or whould I keep looking??

thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

IMO, if you are capable of replacing the one-way and cleaning the carbs, there's no reason not to make an offer - BUT, since you can not run it fully (does not run well now) and verify that there's nothing else wrong with the engine, I'd offer less than he's asking... it's a bit too much, I believe.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Okay, now that's a decent deal - I'd go for it... if you decide not to, where is it located? I'll take it if it's nearby.

If you are relatively handy with wrenches, the one way takes about two hours. Hardest part is getting the flywheel off (sometimes) just because it can be very tight.

You need a good Crankshaft Harmonic Damper puller (you can sometimes borrow from Autozone or other parts stores), a chain wrench to hold the flywheel for removing and replacing the nut and cranking on the puller bolt, a decent torque wrench and some red loctite for the fasteners. Also, use a telescoping magnet to fish around in the sump to find any metal shavings that the failed one-way has left behind.

Except for the one difficulty, it is a pretty easy job, and should cost no more than $250 if you do it yourself. As far as I'm concerned, any tools needed just add to my inventory and I never count that in the total repair cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i passed it up, the guy was way too eager and pushy, made me think there was more to the thing not running right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts