Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha big bear with a whole new top end, starter, starter solenoid, battery everything while riding it shut off and threw me forward I look at the solenoid and it blew threw a fuse I put in another one and a little more down the road it did it again I replaced the solenoid again and it’s still blowing threw fuses something is arching the fuses I don’t know if it’s a wire or ground I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS someone please help me....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What solenoid? Starter? And what fuse is blowing?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don’t have a big bear manual so I can’t tell you what the wiring diagram looks like for your starter solenoid, but I’d start by carefully checking your starter circuit wiring. It sounds like you have an abraded wire somewhere that’s contacting the frame/engine and shorting out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It’s easy to check the wiring, but time consuming. Follow the large gauge positive cable from your battery to the solenoid, and closely inspect every single wire that you can find Running off of it. Remove the plastics for sure to make it easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s easy to check the wiring, but time consuming. Follow the large gauge positive cable from your battery to the solenoid, and closely inspect every single wire that you can find Running off of it. Remove the plastics for sure to make it easier.
Thank you that’s what I thought to do also I just need it would be time consuming because everything is wrapped in the shrink tubing and electrical tape

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
Are you replacing the correct amperage of fuse? What is your battery voltage? Trickle/float charge it to about 13.5 volts and see if that cures the problem. Low voltage increases amperage and blows fuses.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It’s not likely that something inside the wrapping is shorting out. Look at the areas of exposed wires. And where they turn corners and would be prone to rub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts