Raptor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Raptor 660. No mods, nothing too crazy. I know about the common one-way problems with the 660's. I have also searched to find any other answers. Here's my issue: I was riding down the road and kicked it into 5th gear. Running great. All of a sudden it just died on me. No major noises occurring at this point. The starter turns over, the engine does not. This is typical when the one way goes out. However, why would that cause the fourwheeler to die when it was already running? I also am not able to push start it. What would cause this? Thanks in advance.

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
You are correct, one-way alone should not prevent the engine from running or make it stop. However, if a piece from a grenading one-way gets jammed between the flywheel and the stator - damaging or shorting a winding, you could lose spark at the same time.

Another couple of possibilities that would also cause your symptoms - Flywheel has come loose due to sheared woodruff key; OR - Crankshaft broken at flywheel end.

Without a working starting system, it's kinda hard to determine whether you've got spark... You're going to have to pull the left side cover and inspect to determine what the true cause is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts