Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my raptor 660 project I got into recently, when I first got it the bike was smoking pretty badly so I decided to tear into the top end , I found the piston fried on one side and also found one part of the coolant jacket areas near where the head gasket seals completely corroded on the inside , next step we decided to run through the entire oil system with compressed air and carb cleaner and free all the passages , next we cleaned the entire radiator system from all old dirt and debris , we already knew when we started the clutch would need replaced since it was super black and burnt so we removed that and cleaned everything with solvent , we ran through the entire fuel system including the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner , and completely new air filter , lastly when the head is off we plan to get it rebuilt and resealed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We plan to go back in with an new “OEM”cylinder std Cp Carrillo 11:1 high compression piston , rebuilt water pump, put new hoses on cooling system ,New OEM oil pump , OEM Clutch plates , Heavy duty spring , rebuilt carbs , I’m just wondering at this point in the build ,how can I make this fresh build fast enough to keep up with my buddies who all run KTM300 Or Honda 450rs we run Mainly trails and a lot of sand out in Oklahoma but these guys push 45-50 hp I’m trying figure out what would do this before I just slap it together?? Any help is appreciated I know perfect planning is key

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
No airbox lid(with air filter adapter and tuned accordingly)
Ported head
Stage 3 cam(mid to high rpm gain)
-1(12t) front sprocket for more accelration, slightly less top end.
Modify the top speed limiter, and with extra hp, you can gain back the few mph you lost on top.
The limiter is in the top rear of the clutch case. 2 wires go into the case there.
Inside is a square toothed wheel(looks kind of like a gear, only it doesn't contact anything).
Cut or grind off all but 4 teeth(even 2), just space them evenly apart.
Now, even though the gear's shaft is still spinning the same rpms(and higher with a stage 3 cam), there are much less teeth for the sensor to count with each revolution of the shaft. So the cdi never thinks the engine is at max speed anymore...because it retards the timing to kill power to prevent you from going more than about 75-80mph(stock gearing) when it does.
Also, I have ridden and wrenched on several 660's over the years, and on every one of them the fan rarely came on, even on the hottest days when it should have been on.
This is after testing and replacing the fan thermostat in radiator too.
I have read about others with the same issue.
So, I simply add in an on/off switch to turn the fan on whenever.
Which is any warm day after a few minutes to warm up.
Just something to consider, as it's cheap and easy, and cooler engines live longer.
Within 30 seconds of the fan turning on in my 700, the digital temp gage shows a 6-11 degree drop...that's significant.
My 700 has an upgraded cooling system, so the temp difference may not be a large or as quick, but every little bit counts.
I like to look at it like this; 212f degrees is boiling...but 211f is just really hot.
lol

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I also have a CFM oversize oil tank on my 700, and had one on my 660.
It holds another quart!
More capacity, more oil pressure, and the oil is out of the engine longer(as there's more of it), and the tank is aluminum vs the stock steel, aluminums gives off heat faster than steel, and the tank is bigger so more surface area, equals cooler oil.
That, along with cooling system upgrades, like a bigger radiator, and/or Engjne Ice coolant to get it a little cooler.
Cooler running engines with good oil pressure live longer. Engines rebuilt with bigger bores, higher compression, bigger cams and exhaust need more fuel, work great when built right, but all run a little hotter than stock.
So, if you're gonna spend alot of money in a rebuild, it's wise to put some of that money into supporting parts that are going to help the engine last, and run better on hot days.
Just something to consider.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No airbox lid(with air filter adapter and tuned accordingly)
Ported head
Stage 3 cam(mid to high rpm gain)
-1(12t) front sprocket for more accelration, slightly less top end.
Modify the top speed limiter, and with extra hp, you can gain back the few mph you lost on top.
The limiter is in the top rear of the clutch case. 2 wires go into the case there.
Inside is a square toothed wheel(looks kind of like a gear, only it doesn't contact anything).
Cut or grind off all but 4 teeth(even 2), just space them evenly apart.
Now, even though the gear's shaft is still spinning the same rpms(and higher with a stage 3 cam), there are much less teeth for the sensor to count with each revolution of the shaft. So the cdi never thinks the engine is at max speed anymore...because it retards the timing to kill power to prevent you from going more than about 75-80mph when it does.
Also, I have ridden and wrenched on several 660's over the years, and on every one of them the fan rarely came on, even on the hottest days when it should have been on.
This is after testing and replacing the fan thermostat in radiator too.
I have read about others with the same issue.
So, I simply add in an on/off switch to turn the fan on whenever.
Which is any warm day after a few minutes to warm up.
Just something to consider, as it's cheap and easy, and cooler engines live longer.
Within 30 seconds of the fan turning on in my 700, the digital temp gage shows a 6-11 degree drop...that's significant.
My 700 has an upgraded cooling system, so the temp difference may not be a large or as quick, but every little bit counts.
I like to look at it like this; 212f degrees is boiling...but 211f is just really hot.
lol
My biggest question is with an upgrade in cams does the crank need to be replaced , I found no play on the old setup considering it was still running when I took it apart ? I will be doing the fan trick soon tho I can tell it will be hot this year

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My biggest question is with an upgrade in cams does the crank need to be replaced , I found no play on the old setup considering it was still running when I took it apart ? I will be doing the fan trick soon tho I can tell it will be hot this year
The stock crank can hold the extra hp that a mild build will make, as you said 11.1 compression.
That is assuming it is in good condition.
It can't be measured for clearance without being pressed apart, and needs a special fixture to go back together.
Unless it has alot of play, or known high hours and abuse, I'de do the piston, cam, port, air filter/no lid and ride it.
You also have to ask yourself how much you want to spend on a 660.
If you plan on keeping it, it really doesn't matter. But if you may sell it in future, it's easy to spend alot and lose alot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock crank can hold the extra hp that a mild build will make, as you said 11.1 compression.
That is assuming it is in good condition.
It can't be measured for clearance without being pressed apart, and needs a special fixture to go back together.
Unless it has alot of play, or known high hours and abuse, I'de do the piston, cam, port, air filter/no lid and ride it.
You also have to ask yourself how much you want to spend on a 660.
If you plan on keeping it, it really doesn't matter. But if you may sell it in future, it's easy to spend alot and lose alot.
Interesting you say this , I have my eye on a friends 09 700 with mild use for 3k , I always ask myself if that would be better to work with in the end , if money was no object!!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Interesting you say this , I have my eye on a friends 09 700 with mild use for 3k , I always ask myself if that would be better to work with in the end , if money was no object!!
I went down the rabbit hole with my last 660, about 4-5 years ago, and had way too much in it.
Fortunately, someone else wanted it more than I did. I lost money on it, but not nearly as much as if I'de have finished it the way I wanted. It would have been my keeper.
Last September I bought my 700 as my keeper...and have put way too much in it already, lol, but I'm making it how I want it with no intention to ever sell it.
The 660 is great, but the only machine I'll take over it is a 700.
I would buy a 700 for $3k before I'de put $3k in a 660...unless the 660 is just "the one" and you want to build and ride that, which is fine too.
660/700 parts cost about the same and 700 parts can be easier to find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went down the rabbit hole with my last 660, about 4-5 years ago, and had way too much in it.
Fortunately, someone else wanted it more than I did. I lost money on it, but not nearly as much as if I'de have finished it the way I wanted. It would have been my keeper.
Last September I bought my 700 as my keeper...and have put way too much in it already, lol, but I'm making it how I want it with no intention to ever sell it.
The 660 is great, but the only machine I'll take over it is a 700.
I would buy a 700 for $3k before I'de put $3k in a 660...unless the 660 is just "the one" and you want to build and ride that, which is fine too.
660/700 parts cost about the same and 700 parts can be easier to find.
I promised myself I would finish this girl and give it a chance before I go all out, kinda had my aim in this direction when I started , I really just wanna show those 450rs I don’t have to eat dust for eternity in a beach drag . Plus I been rocking a blaster .. which is mint af for 06 SE but slow

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I promised myself I would finish this girl and give it a chance before I go all out, kinda had my aim in this direction when I started , I really just wanna show those 450rs I don’t have to eat dust for eternity in a beach drag . Plus I been rocking a blaster .. which is mint af for 06 SE but slow
I love Blasters too, they have alot of potential.
Built one for friend a few years back.
Had about 23hp ish, vs stock 18hp.
He stretched, widened, and put good shocks on. It was alot of fun in the trails and would outrun Z400's til 4th gear(as the low/mid woods pipe wasn't making high rpm power).
I totally understand keeping both of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the mail service loses one more part for me I’m gonna need an architect to rebuild my home..... seriously hair has been pulled out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts