Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all new to the raptor forum. I was just wondering about an 05 I am looking at. The guy that has it for sale says it blows oil out the breather tube. This would tel me that I have bad rings. He siad the yammy dealership told him his oil strainer is dirty and the motor has to be torn down and the case split to get at it. what do you guys think. He only want's 500.00 for it. It has the dual barker exhaust yfz shocks but the frame has been welded in two places. I think the exhaust is worth 500.00. Let me know what all you experianced raptor people think.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey all new to the raptor forum. I was just wondering about an 05 I am looking at. The guy that has it for sale says it blows oil out the breather tube. This would tel me that I have bad rings. He siad the yammy dealership told him his oil strainer is dirty and the motor has to be torn down and the case split to get at it. what do you guys think. He only want's 500.00 for it. It has the dual barker exhaust yfz shocks but the frame has been welded in two places. I think the exhaust is worth 500.00. Let me know what all you experianced raptor people think.
The dealer and you are right on the possible piston ring problem and the fact that you must split the bases to get to the oil strainer which is located in the engines base...........

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I would buy it for sure. $500 is a steal. If you enjoy turning wrenches it might be a good experience to tear it down and if not you could part it out and make your money back. Hopefully you get it fixed and get out riding. =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the responses. I think I will buy it I will have to tear it down but this is kind of a hobby to me. I will most likely get rid of the barker duel exhaust. I really don't like the look of the outside the frame look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I ended up buying this quad. The bike realy runs great but the oil flow is not that good back to the tank. It kind of just spurts like it has air in it. How much much oil should be returning back to the tank. I would think it should be a a steady stream of oil.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So I ended up buying this quad. The bike realy runs great but the oil flow is not that good back to the tank. It kind of just spurts like it has air in it. How much much oil should be returning back to the tank. I would think it should be a a steady stream of oil.
If you are checking the oil flow back to the tank when the engine is cold, it will probably do as you say, since the scavenger pump pumps oil that it sucks off the bottom of the engine, when it warms up, oil flow will be more consistant and oil will be able to be picked of the engine's floor much easier since the oil becomes more fluid flowing to the engine sump much faster................

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea you might be right on that but I took it out and rode it for a little bit . When I came back and pulled off the line it was still spurting oil. It should have been plenty hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad piston

Hey i tore down my engine and found a bad piston. The front and back skirt had broken off. So the oil sump was plugged off. Now to rebuild. Would you go with a high comp piston or just std? Also willykiller can you pm me your mod instructions.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I would do an 11:1 piston because of the power increase and you can still run like 93 octane pump gas. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.