Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum, i apologize in advance for punctuation. The raptor was taken to different shops and was taken apart when i got the raptor it wouldnt turn on the harness was cracked and broken so was the ignition it was missing an oil line and motor mount. I ordered the parta and got it to turn on and idle nicely heres the info....

I have a 2005 raptor 660 with brand new harness starter relay ignition switch reverse and neutral switch the reverse has been grounded. The raptor has a full yoshimura exhaust big bore the air lid has three holes the snorkel is connected as well the jet are 22.5 for pilots main jets are 150 152.2. Carb needles are stock the quad idles nicely but at 1/4 throttle it sputter and backfires from the pipe and the carbs. I did restrict air flow to the carbs with a rag and started acting slightly better carbs are new air screws are at 2 and 1 1/4 turn and the floats have been set with the clear tube method. Valves have been adjusted. Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
605 Posts
Full exhaust and holes in airbox lid will need #25 pilots.
4th, possibly 5th position on needles.
DynoJet needles from their jet kit(cannot be bought seperately) have a different taper at the tip and perform better.
Depending on elevation, you may need larger mains.
Change pilots first, and only make one change at a time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pilots jets have been changed to 25 but made no difference so i went back to 22.5 needles were at 4th and changed to 5th position with no difference made as well and elevation is at 3652 above sea level

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,178 Posts
Put the 25 pilots back in and raise the needles.
Be sure to run a copper (speaker) wire thru ALL BODY orifices.
Mains may need to be bigger too

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the raptor still sputters and backfires i went through all the jet kit and no difference at all. Im stumped guys kinds of want to cry lol

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,178 Posts
i went through all the jet kit and no difference at all.
What does this mean? You tried all the jets.

Did you put the 25 pilots back in?

Did you raise the needle?

Did you clean the body orifices?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. I also checked the timing and happened to notice it wasnt lining up when trying to line up the cam gear marks. I got a new timing chain and replaced it but it still does the same

·
Master of the Electron
14,822 Posts
Use this combo:
25 pilots
146 DJ in left carb
148 DJ in right carb
DJ needles 1 notch rich of center

IF this doesn't work pretty well, your problem is NOT jetting related.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes. I also checked the timing and happened to notice it wasnt lining up when trying to line up the cam gear marks. I got a new timing chain and replaced it but it still does the same
If the timing marks don't line up, then it's not timed correctly.
Put the chain on one tooth retarded, then rotate the engine over twice(it's 4 strokes), and the timing marks should be and stay aligned.
As with most timing chains on most engines, you cannot line them up as you install them, otherwise they will end up advanced a tooth after rotating the engine.
Try installing the chain again.

·
Master of the Electron
14,822 Posts
If it runs, the timing is not likely off by more than 1 tooth. If the timing marks are CLOSE but not exact, it just means that your timing chain is stretching. You can test it by PROPERLY removing the tensioner and determining if the plunger is near end of travel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced the timing belt and its showing the marks lining up and the chain feels pretty tight on there. It started pretty quickly but it still sputters and backfires

·
Master of the Electron
14,822 Posts
Did you follow my jetting advice? Any further troubleshooting should be with that jetting,

BTW, those are FUEL screws not air... typically two-strokes use air screws, 4 strokes use fuel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill check the jetting again and the fuel screws. But lets just say that the jetting is correct. Is there anything else that might cause this problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The raptor was already running perfectly before they let it sit for years all i did was replace the harness with a brand new one from partzilla

1 - 20 of 37 Posts