Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone, I now own a 05 raptor 660 for the price of 0 dollars. I do small engine repair on the side and I was brought this machine as a no start. Found hole in valve cover due to broken decompression unit and one ear off camshaft where sprocket bolts to. Provided customer estimate to repair and asked if I would take machine for payment of labor to diagnose, I said of course. I got all the parts needed to repair and get machine running. I wanted to quickly assess the bottom end as I never have heard it run so instead of tediously cleaning carbs, I did keep them and they are currently apart and in cleaning solution, I ordered carbs off amazon for around 70 bucks (zoom zoom I think is the brand). I know cheap aftermarket parts aren't quality but I just wanted to know if machine was worth the restoration it deserved so 70 bucks for a plug and play carb set made sense for me (I just wanted to hear it idle and do a lap around the property). I did just that, I was impressed at how well it actually ran with those carbs on it, all I did was set idle. Obviously it didn't run perfect but engine sounds healthy. I will do my best to keep this build updated but just know time is something I don't have a lot of. My first question is in regards to those carbs. I know they are not true mikunis but man they look similar. I replaced the pilots with 25's already but they had a 45 in them? Thing was massive! im observing the main jet and needle and it is obvious the needle is completely different. Having trouble uploading pictures but once I can I will. The design and thickness of the needle tip is completely different (aftermarket carb needles way skinnier then factory), I removed the cover and slide and even the diaphragm is different (way to big, once carb top is almost on, rubber is all folded and misshaped). My question is if I order a name brand reputable jet kit that comes with needles (dynojet as an example) to accommodate the performance parts on machine, will carbs function properly or are even the bodies/passages/other parts of the aftermarket carbs not spec to the factory? im ok with ditching them completely, but if changing all the serviceable items will make them work properly, I will do that. I just have never dealt with cheap aftermarket carbs. I appreciate any input

·
Super Moderator
7,761 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I don't deal with the 660's but I have seen enough threads to know you need to ditch those cheap carbs. You want to run OEM for the best performance and not be chasing issues down the road with it not running correctly.

·
Master of the Electron
14,493 Posts
IMO the originals don't wear out... they just need careful, thorough cleaning.

The cheap, Chinese eBay carbs are complete unknowns and I have yet to hear of ANYONE that is very satisfied with them.

Everything is just a bit different so you have no common starting points to get there from here! Again IMO, clean and re-jet (using Dyno jets and needles) the originals when you have modified the airbox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I figured that would be the response. I will continue the build with the stock carbs, but once quad is setup properly and carbs are tuned properly, I may mimic them with the cheap carbs and see if it runs any different even though carbs will be identical, for my own curious reasons. my pictures are to large to upload, how do I make the image smaller, do I use paint?

·
Master of the Electron
14,493 Posts
In Windows right click on any jpeg image and one of the drop-down choices is "Resize Picture".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, sorry it took so long for pictures, been super busy. I have much more to post but this is the machine when I acquired it

plastics are crooked in some pictures because they are just sitting there, only thing it is missing cosmetically is a headlight assembly and reverse lever is broken so I think I did ok being I paid nothing for it

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,761 Posts
I wouldn't pass at that price either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the dynojet jet kit ordered along with some other things. Once that comes in I will build the carbs and see how it runs. I ordered a pro flow kit with filter so I can run with lid off. I have some chassis issues to deal with after I get it up and running. a arm bushings loose, shock bushings loose, swing arm bushings loose. I am going to go through entire machine and get suspension and chassis back to 100 percent. unsure if im going stock or aftermarket. I would definitely love to be a bit wider and maybe a bit longer but wider is more important to me. I will keep everyone posted once carb parts come in, will post video and more pics also

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, I apologize for the huge delay in posts. I finally had time to build those amazon carbs with the dynojet kit. Did same carb setup exactly on OEM carbs and amazon carbs, OEM carbs obviously worked perfectly (I also did a complete rebuild of the OEM carbs including all rubber components). With the amazon carbs, I was shocked to see that the quad ran like complete crap, extremely rich at idle and Dangerously lean above half throttle. Im glad I took the time to do this because now I can confidently say if any of my customers or friends are considering those carbs to say nope, not worth it. Hope this interests you guys as much as it did me. It was fun to be honest. Moving forward with the build, im going to now address the chassis. Do you guys think I should rebuild front end or go aftermarket and just replace components. If you guys think I should replace components I obviously would go wider, any recommendations on brands and widths is so?

Thanks for all the input

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,494 Posts
Hey guys, I apologize for the huge delay in posts. I finally had time to build those amazon carbs with the dynojet kit. Did same carb setup exactly on OEM carbs and amazon carbs, OEM carbs obviously worked perfectly (I also did a complete rebuild of the OEM carbs including all rubber components). With the amazon carbs, I was shocked to see that the quad ran like complete crap, extremely rich at idle and Dangerously lean above half throttle. Im glad I took the time to do this because now I can confidently say if any of my customers or friends are considering those carbs to say nope, not worth it. Hope this interests you guys as much as it did me. It was fun to be honest. Moving forward with the build, im going to now address the chassis. Do you guys think I should rebuild front end or go aftermarket and just replace components. If you guys think I should replace components I obviously would go wider, any recommendations on brands and widths is so?

Thanks for all the input
If it's a bike you are gonna keep for yourself then go aftermarket with replaceable ball joints, and if your riding area permits +2 wider (+4 total) to add stability and +1 forward. A matching rear axle would usually be adjustable for +2 and +4. If you're gonna sell it, just replace bushings or tie rod ends as needed since you won't get the money back for aftermarket. Unless the buyer wants them purchased and you sell the parts and labor to change them.

If interested, I have new A-arm bushings, new tie rod ends and I think some extended tie rods for sale.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts